Calling computer geeks! - Page 2 - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to General Motors. In other words, off-topic stuff. And anything else that does not fit Section Description.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-15-2003, 10:37 PM   #11
Sol
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 8,909
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sol is on a distinguished road
Default

Wow, colorcases.com has some great cases! Gives me ideas for my next computer.
Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 10:39 PM   #12
Senior Member
Certified Car Nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Robbinsdale, MN
Posts: 15,408
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MOS95B is on a distinguished road
Default

I bought one from them. Too bad Dells can't be transplanted. Great service and delivery, tho.
MOS95B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 12:02 AM   #13
Senior Member
Certified Car Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 15,928
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BonneMeMN is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOS95B
I bought one from them. Too bad Dells can't be transplanted. Great service and delivery, tho.
All you really need is a MOBO and PS...


ww.xoxide.com for some SWEET CASES. Also, not as big as NewEgg, but usually a lil better, is www.allstarshop.com

Get a P4 2.4 asap, as they were just discontinued manufactuer, and a decent mobo for it. Get some PC2700 or better ram, anything will work, you don't sound like an overclocker. For video card get a ATI radeon 9100/9200 if possible, or a Nvidia Geforce 4 Ti 4200.

I personally think and LCD monitor is well worth the price, but you may not.

For Hard drives check out the sites, and find the best price, maybe look into SATA drives for future compatability.
BonneMeMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 12:27 AM   #14
Burgundy_Boat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Calling computer geeks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOS95B
Monitor Flat screens are cool, but slow and expensive. If you're short on money, but not room, get a normal monitor. You can get a lot more "bang for your buck" this way.
I'm gonna have to disagree with you here, flat screen'* are quite affordable, I have a 19" Sony flat screen that I picked up probally 7-8 months ago for $400. you might be confusing flat panal (LCD) with flat screen (CRT, with a flat screen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOS95B
Audio Most motherboards will have this built in. And it will depend on what your after. The built in audio is usable, and can be pretty good. Some MB'* will even come with surround sound. If you want good audio for movies, and some games, you'll have to go add on. I will only recommend Creative. Budget is up to you. I have the Extigy. It'* USB, so it doesn't use a slot inside, and has very good surround features, and it is quite affordable. If you wanna go all out, you need the Audigy. Takes a slot on the MB, and in the case, but it'* the best sound out there.
I highly recommend my setup here. I have the Creative Audigy (you'll probally get the Audigy 2) and I've got Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 speakers (not the ultra, they sounded like crap in the store) and I have no complaints... great speakers, something for everyone. if you like bass, they have 2 8" subs pumping 200 watts. if you like quality, they are THX certified. if you like power, the whole system is rated at 500 watts... (really, must i go on?)
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 12:55 AM   #15
Senior Member
Posts like a Northstar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Greater Cleveland area, Ohio
Posts: 514
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
kevo is on a distinguished road
Default

I agree with the earlier post on NVIDiA. Shoot for 128Megs of memory on your graphics card. This will make your games ROCK!!

The better your graphics card the less work your processor is bogged down with, plus you can turn your games resolution up real high for crystal clear graphics.

The P4 is up to 3.2 GHZ. With this speed I'd get 1gig of RAM. This way you will be ready for tomorrows games. Things go obsolete so fast, it'* important to get power and/or good upgradeability.

Most games don't require a blazing 40+ speed cd-rom, but you want to get one that is fast and a rewritabe drive. Also a good DVD drive is nice to have. Thet have come out with dvd writers too!

If you were to forget everything I've said except one thing it would be this....DON'T BUY A CELERON PROCESSOR!!!! They don't have a on-chip cache. This slows them down somewheres between 20-30% compared to their equivalent speeds on a regular P3 or P4 processor.


I like AMD as well. Look their selections over too. Even though they're not as popular they are good processors as well.
kevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 01:01 AM   #16
Senior Member
Certified Car Nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Robbinsdale, MN
Posts: 15,408
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MOS95B is on a distinguished road
Default

MAD is cheaper as well. I had one ADM Computer. Never had a problem with it. But when I got the chance to move to a P3, the kid inhereted the AMD.
MOS95B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 10:25 AM   #17
Senior Member
Posts like a Camaro
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ottawa,Can
Posts: 1,038
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Paulnold is on a distinguished road
Default Anybody get the new?

Any of you computer geeks pick up the AMD athlon 64 fx chip the say its kicks the living shiz out of any p4 on the market,Oh yeah I love the computer systems by ALEINWARE ,they look cool and are top notch systems
Paulnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 10:26 AM   #18
Senior Member
Posts like a Camaro
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ottawa,Can
Posts: 1,038
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Paulnold is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Anybody get the new?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulnold
Any of you computer geeks pick up the AMD athlon 64 fx chip ,Oh yeah I love the computer systems by ALEINWARE ,they look cool and are top notch systems
Paulnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 10:41 AM   #19
Senior Member
Certified Car Nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Robbinsdale, MN
Posts: 15,408
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MOS95B is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Calling computer geeks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgundy_Boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOS95B
Monitor Flat screens are cool, but slow and expensive. If you're short on money, but not room, get a normal monitor. You can get a lot more "bang for your buck" this way.
I'm gonna have to disagree with you here, flat screen'* are quite affordable, I have a 19" Sony flat screen that I picked up probally 7-8 months ago for $400. you might be confusing flat panal (LCD) with flat screen (CRT, with a flat screen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOS95B
Audio Most motherboards will have this built in. And it will depend on what your after. The built in audio is usable, and can be pretty good. Some MB'* will even come with surround sound. If you want good audio for movies, and some games, you'll have to go add on. I will only recommend Creative. Budget is up to you. I have the Extigy. It'* USB, so it doesn't use a slot inside, and has very good surround features, and it is quite affordable. If you wanna go all out, you need the Audigy. Takes a slot on the MB, and in the case, but it'* the best sound out there.
I highly recommend my setup here. I have the Creative Audigy (you'll probally get the Audigy 2) and I've got Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 speakers (not the ultra, they sounded like crap in the store) and I have no complaints... great speakers, something for everyone. if you like bass, they have 2 8" subs pumping 200 watts. if you like quality, they are THX certified. if you like power, the whole system is rated at 500 watts... (really, must i go on?)
Yeah, I meant the LCD Flat Panel, not the flat screen CRT. The flat screen CRTs are nice, but depending upon how graphic intensive you plan to be, it may be nore cost effective to go with a normal monitor.

And looking again at the intended plans for this system, I would recommend spending more for audio than video. You state you want to burn/store music, but didn't mention gaming. Not much needed there in the graphics department. Even the on-board graphics that come with some MoBo'* might work, but they use your RAM. High end graphics cards are intended for artists and gamers, so if you're not one of these, spend your money on audio. The Audigy 2 is a great system for that, and should come with somne very useful software as well.
MOS95B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 10:54 AM   #20
Sol
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 8,909
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sol is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Anybody get the new?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulnold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulnold
Any of you computer geeks pick up the AMD athlon 64 fx chip ,Oh yeah I love the computer systems by ALEINWARE ,they look cool and are top notch systems
I could get 50HP out of my car for the price of an 64FX system.
Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hey computer geeks.... Segate FTW 95seand78z28 Lounge 7 08-25-2007 02:10 PM
Need Some Computer Geeks.... Cheetah Lounge 6 05-09-2007 10:28 AM
attention computer geeks harofreak00 Lounge 20 04-20-2007 12:59 AM
I bet you computer geeks can't top this... Paul Lounge 7 01-30-2007 06:47 PM
Call out to other Computer Geeks... bandit Lounge 10 11-08-2006 01:50 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:58 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.