Attention Dog Owners - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to General Motors. In other words, off-topic stuff. And anything else that does not fit Section Description.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-24-2008, 02:10 PM   #1
Senior Member
Posts like a Camaro
Thread Starter
 
EagleKammback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 835
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
EagleKammback is on a distinguished road
Default Attention Dog Owners

Somebody who is a vet on the AMC Eagle Nest posted this, I had no idea that was poisonous to dogs
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1940cruzer
This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at MedVet. My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix that ate half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday.

He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1AM on Wednesday but the owner didn't call my emergency service until 7AM.

I had heard somewhere about raisins and grapes causing acute Renal failure but hadn't seen any formal paper on the subject. We had her bring the dog in immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet, and the doctor there was like me - had heard something about it, but....

Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center and they said to give I V fluids at 1 1/2 times maintenance and watch the
kidney values for the next 48-72 hours.

The dog'* BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less than 27) and creatinine over 5 ( 1.9 is the high end of normal).

Both are monitors of kidney function in the bloodstream. We placed an IV catheter and
started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the BUN was over 40 and creatinine over 7 with no urine production after a liter of fluids. At this point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on to MedVet for a urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight as well as overnight care.

He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values have continued to increase daily. He produced urine when gi ven la six as a diuretic.

He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and they still couldn't control his vomiting. Today his urine output decreased again, his BUN was over 120,his
creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very elevated and his blood pressure, which had been staying around 150, skyrocketed to 220.. He continued to vomit and the owners elected euthanasia.
My friend sent me this very informative information and we have so many animal lovers on the Nest I thought it was very important for you all to read.

This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very serious risk.

Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats including our ex-handler'*. Any exposure should give rise to immediate concern.

Even if you don't have a dog, you might have friends who do. This is worth passing on to them.

Hope this information is highly helpful to you...

Lynne
EagleKammback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 04:04 PM   #2
Senior Member
Posts like a Camaro
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Aurora, Illinois
Posts: 922
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1994se is on a distinguished road
Default

We had a dog come in a couple years back that ate a bag of grapes and more or less went into kidney failure. 5 days on IV fluids and IV meds and they were fine, but they easily could have died.
1994se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 04:10 PM   #3
Senior Member
Posts like a Northstar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 691
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
*B2* is on a distinguished road
Default

My dog ate acorns and almost died. He was at the vet for a few days on IVs.
*B2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 04:18 PM   #4
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bloomington, MN
Posts: 3,693
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GoldenBullet is on a distinguished road
Default

dang, time to stop feeding my dog grapes and raisins
GoldenBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:21 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Purgatory
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PontiacMom is on a distinguished road
Default

Wow, thanks for the information....Timber will eat anything....
PontiacMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:42 PM   #6
Senior Member
Posts like a Camaro
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Aurora, Illinois
Posts: 922
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1994se is on a distinguished road
Default

Not that most people feed there dogs onions anyways, but they can also be toxic.
1994se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 06:56 PM   #7
Senior Member
Posts like a Camaro
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: MN
Posts: 1,172
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bonnevillan is on a distinguished road
Default

well since grapes are toxic, it stands to reason raisins are
Bonnevillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 08:09 PM   #8
Senior Member
Posts like a Northstar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ladysmith B.C. Canada
Posts: 620
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
JMH1950 is on a distinguished road
Default

Strange.

When I'm picking grapes in the fall, the dog eats any that lands on the ground if he can get to it before I do. Never any problems....... so far. Guess I'll have to be more careful from now on.

I actually thought this was a BS story until I looked it up on Snopes.com.
JMH1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lost the dog, found the dog J. Pierpont Finch Lounge 1 05-14-2007 10:20 AM
ATTENTION ATTENTION!!! harofreak00 Lounge 15 09-21-2005 11:30 AM
ATTENTION: ALL 92 EGRless Owners! DeathRat 1992-1999 46 12-21-2004 08:56 AM
Eurogrill Install Finished/All 2000+ SE Owners Pay Attention mremer 2000-2005 16 11-15-2003 12:12 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:09 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.