Front Differential Buick Rainier/ Oldsmobile Bravada - Page 3 - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


GMC/Chevrolet Truck/SUV When starting new posts, please specify YEAR, MAKE, MODEL, ENGINE type, and whatever modifications you have made.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #21
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
jwfirebird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: western,ny state
Posts: 9,616
Thanked 563 Times in 481 Posts
jwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond repute
Default

pretty sure they were talking about your truck they mentioned rainier by name. said there is only the 2wd 4wd function in the tcase and when it slipped it sent power to the front.
jwfirebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #22
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
jwfirebird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: western,ny state
Posts: 9,616
Thanked 563 Times in 481 Posts
jwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond repute
Default

check out post like 5 through 10
jwfirebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:23 PM   #23
Retired Administrator

True Car Nut
 
GunsOfNavarone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Williamsport, PA
Posts: 2,856
Thanked 167 Times in 129 Posts
GunsOfNavarone has much to be proud ofGunsOfNavarone has much to be proud ofGunsOfNavarone has much to be proud ofGunsOfNavarone has much to be proud ofGunsOfNavarone has much to be proud ofGunsOfNavarone has much to be proud ofGunsOfNavarone has much to be proud ofGunsOfNavarone has much to be proud ofGunsOfNavarone has much to be proud ofGunsOfNavarone has much to be proud of
Default

Here is a alternate course of action.

Update the transfer case fluid. GM made a huge update to this fluid for its AWD vehicles, you can only get this fluid at the dealer. You have to change it twice, after the first change, drive 50 miles and change it again. It involves no filters, fairly simple, remove a nut on the bottom, replace the nut, remove the nut on the top, fill with new blue fluid until it overflows, put top nut back in.

You will also want to change the front differential fluid, use GM or the best gear oil you can find. And you will also want to make sure your auto trans is running DEC VI.

The above fluids are what prevent the Rainer and Bravada AWDs from having major premature failures. Those that have done the fluid conversion have years of trouble free AWD operations. Those that don't get 3-5k invoices from repair shops.

With that said, the hubs are a high failure item, and CV axles also fail. The hubs are easy to replace, the CV axles are tougher to do.

Consider changing the fluids, check for problems and go from there. Changing the hubs is never a bad thing on your vehicle, I use Timken and they have worked great.
GunsOfNavarone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #24
Junior Member
Posts like a Ricer Type-R
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
EricWheeler2009 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsOfNavarone View Post
Here is a alternate course of action.

Update the transfer case fluid. GM made a huge update to this fluid for its AWD vehicles, you can only get this fluid at the dealer. You have to change it twice, after the first change, drive 50 miles and change it again. It involves no filters, fairly simple, remove a nut on the bottom, replace the nut, remove the nut on the top, fill with new blue fluid until it overflows, put top nut back in.

You will also want to change the front differential fluid, use GM or the best gear oil you can find. And you will also want to make sure your auto trans is running DEC VI.

The above fluids are what prevent the Rainer and Bravada AWDs from having major premature failures. Those that have done the fluid conversion have years of trouble free AWD operations. Those that don't get 3-5k invoices from repair shops.

With that said, the hubs are a high failure item, and CV axles also fail. The hubs are easy to replace, the CV axles are tougher to do.

Consider changing the fluids, check for problems and go from there. Changing the hubs is never a bad thing on your vehicle, I use Timken and they have worked great.
That'* good advice, thanks, but we don't want to keep the vehicle, just want to fix the noise issue and get rid of the car.
EricWheeler2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:47 PM   #25
Retired Administrator

True Car Nut
 
GunsOfNavarone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Williamsport, PA
Posts: 2,856
Thanked 167 Times in 129 Posts
GunsOfNavarone has much to be proud ofGunsOfNavarone has much to be proud ofGunsOfNavarone has much to be proud ofGunsOfNavarone has much to be proud ofGunsOfNavarone has much to be proud ofGunsOfNavarone has much to be proud ofGunsOfNavarone has much to be proud ofGunsOfNavarone has much to be proud ofGunsOfNavarone has much to be proud ofGunsOfNavarone has much to be proud of
Default

90% chance the noise is a hub, about $100 at farm and fleet. 5% chance it is one of the CV axles. The other 5%??????

Good luck with it.
GunsOfNavarone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #26
Junior Member
Posts like a Ricer Type-R
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
EricWheeler2009 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsOfNavarone View Post
90% chance the noise is a hub, about $100 at farm and fleet. 5% chance it is one of the CV axles. The other 5%??????

Good luck with it.
Nope, pulled CV axle out, noise goes away, stick new CV axle in just into the diff, not the hub, noise came back. so I'm the most latter 5%
EricWheeler2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:12 AM   #27
Retired Administrator

True Car Nut
 
GunsOfNavarone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Williamsport, PA
Posts: 2,856
Thanked 167 Times in 129 Posts
GunsOfNavarone has much to be proud ofGunsOfNavarone has much to be proud ofGunsOfNavarone has much to be proud ofGunsOfNavarone has much to be proud ofGunsOfNavarone has much to be proud ofGunsOfNavarone has much to be proud ofGunsOfNavarone has much to be proud ofGunsOfNavarone has much to be proud ofGunsOfNavarone has much to be proud ofGunsOfNavarone has much to be proud of
Default

Thread has been moved to the SUV section and Olds Bravada added into title to attract more attention (The Olds Bravada has essentially the save drive-train as the Rainer).
GunsOfNavarone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:04 AM   #28
Junior Member
Posts like a Ricer Type-R
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
EricWheeler2009 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsOfNavarone View Post
Thread has been moved to the SUV section and Olds Bravada added into title to attract more attention (The Olds Bravada has essentially the save drive-train as the Rainer).
Cool, thanks, I tried to post in a couple other places, can't rememember where now, but I didn't see the "new thread" button, so I figured being a new member I wasn't yet priveledged enough to post in those areas so I tried it here.
EricWheeler2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:23 PM   #29
Junior Member
Posts like a Ricer Type-R
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
EricWheeler2009 is on a distinguished road
Default

Someone I know said that the differential is not rebuildable, any truth to that?
EricWheeler2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:52 AM   #30
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
jwfirebird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: western,ny state
Posts: 9,616
Thanked 563 Times in 481 Posts
jwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Front Differential Failure - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

seems pretty involved have to pull half the acc. and jack up the engine. what a crap design.
jwfirebird is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
oldsmobile bravada front cv axle Billy Ray Oldsmobile 4 02-20-2013 07:46 PM
ATF in Front Differential (2000 Bravada) - Oops 2000bravada Oldsmobile 10 01-01-2012 01:43 PM
2006 Buick Rainier Trans fluid flush chevyman15 Buick 3 05-11-2011 05:01 PM
New to me 06 Buick Rainier! sse1990 Your Other Rides: Pics & Videos 16 04-14-2008 11:41 PM
broken differential housing & differential Ishu, tranny Oakleytw 1992-1999 11 12-15-2004 03:00 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:47 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.