Silly question..."Blower whine envy" ;) - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


Forced Induction All questions and problems regarding Superchargers, Turbos, NOS, ZEX, intercoolers, water injection, etc.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-30-2003, 06:47 PM   #1
Senior Member
Posts like a 4 Banger
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 104
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TDS-94SSEi is on a distinguished road
Default Silly question..."Blower whine envy" ;)

Hey all,

The other day driving home, I got to run near a new Cobra Mustang. Could hear that supercharger from a ways away. Wondering if the Bonneville can get any sound like that, by gutting the air box or adding a cone filter or anything. I know on my Regal, going with a cone K&N, the turbo sounds so much more aggressive. So far, I have not found a comparable setup for the Bonne.

I know it'* not a real serious thing, but I haven't been around many of these supercharged Pontiacs yet. Would be nice to get a litte sound out of this one, though, IMO. Just to stand out a little bit.

Who'* got something other than the stock setup, and how happy are you with it?
TDS-94SSEi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 06:57 PM   #2
Member
Posts like a V-Tak
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 60
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Widerman is on a distinguished road
Default

We have a Roots style Supercharger, but with a CAI + cone filter setup, you will hear it whistle when you put your foot into it, chances are the mustang has a centrifugal supercharger ( Paxton, Vortec etc. ) which whines even at idle. It does sound cool though, but it gives the game away when your playing "sleeper" in street races!

( Bonneville Club does not condone street racing ) (snicker)
Widerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 07:02 PM   #3
Senior Member
Posts like a Northstar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Western, Mass
Posts: 587
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bassplayincrowe is on a distinguished road
Default

If you get a intake system and take out the maf screen (the intake has to get rid of all turbulence so you can take it out) you'll hear more wine.

ADTR is perfect for that. If you're interested place your name on the list in performance. It'* also a great performance upgrade because it was tuned for our engines. You'll get your whine and some cheese.
Bassplayincrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 09:35 PM   #4
Senior Member
Posts like a Turbo
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Boston Area
Posts: 327
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TelePlayer is on a distinguished road
Default

Why do we call it a "cold air induction" when it most likely brings in warmer air than the stock setup? (Unless you make a special box or such) Most of the pics I see on here are just a bare filter element hanging right behind the radiator.
TelePlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 09:41 PM   #5
Senior Member
Posts like a Turbo
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Boston Area
Posts: 327
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TelePlayer is on a distinguished road
Default

I hear that if you mount a few playing cards in the right place, just touching the alternator fan, it gives a killer sound.
TelePlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 10:37 PM   #6
Junior Member
Posts like a Ricer Type-R
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
willwren is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TelePlayer
Why do we call it a "cold air induction" when it most likely brings in warmer air than the stock setup? (Unless you make a special box or such) Most of the pics I see on here are just a bare filter element hanging right behind the radiator.
Some of us are running CAI or heat-shield setups. Nothing is available off the shelf, but it doesn't take much creativity to make one. It can make a slight difference in performance.
willwren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 12:20 AM   #7
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Holt, MI & Lima, OH
Posts: 3,022
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dbtk2 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
We have a Roots style Supercharger, but with a CAI + cone filter setup, you will hear it whistle when you put your foot into it, chances are the mustang has a centrifugal supercharger ( Paxton, Vortec etc. ) which whines even at idle. It does sound cool though, but it gives the game away when your playing "sleeper" in street races!
Mustang Cobra'* have roots blowers. They have the next model up from the M90 from eaton, they run the MP112. So unless it had an aftermarket blower, it is a roots.

Quote:
Hey all,

The other day driving home, I got to run near a new Cobra Mustang. Could hear that supercharger from a ways away. Wondering if the Bonneville can get any sound like that, by gutting the air box or adding a cone filter or anything. I know on my Regal, going with a cone K&N, the turbo sounds so much more aggressive. So far, I have not found a comparable setup for the Bonne.

I know it'* not a real serious thing, but I haven't been around many of these supercharged Pontiacs yet. Would be nice to get a litte sound out of this one, though, IMO. Just to stand out a little bit.

Who'* got something other than the stock setup, and how happy are you with it?
You can make the blower sound like that, you just have to open up the intake, exhaust, and run a small enough pulley to be making 12+ psi boost. Maybe I will take a video of the GTP running down the strip next time we go, it has insane whine.
dbtk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 01:57 AM   #8
Senior Member
Posts like a Northstar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Western, Mass
Posts: 587
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bassplayincrowe is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Maybe I will take a video of the GTP running down the strip next time we go, it has insane whine.
DO IT! I wanna see that baby!
Bassplayincrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 06:27 PM   #9
Member
Posts like a V-Tak
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 60
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Widerman is on a distinguished road
Default

I wasn't aware that the Cobras came stock supercharged, I thought it was only the SALEEN models, good to know.
Widerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 02:52 AM   #10
Senior Member
Posts like a Turbo
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 421
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wolfedog50 is on a distinguished road
Default

The only thing i like better about a turbo rather than a supercharger is the noise the release valve makes when you shift. But i wouldn't really want my car to make that noise, becuase i don't think the cops enjoy it as much as i. Anything that will draw attention to my car from police.. i'm not gonna do.
Wolfedog50 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I hate boost envy... JimmyFloyd Lounge 5 11-25-2007 02:57 AM
So you got PDad Envy eh? PontiacDad Lounge 1 12-26-2006 11:43 AM
WHINE envy? Video with Audio! willwren Forced Induction 60 10-09-2003 10:29 PM
I have 3800 series II envy TelePlayer Performance, Brainstorming & Tuning 1 08-05-2003 01:27 AM
rice envy 96AZSSEi General GM Chat 7 10-07-2002 10:30 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:33 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.