Question about Sub Sonic Filter - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


Audio (and aftermarket electronics) This is your place for alarms, remote starters, to brag about your system, exaggerate your db levels, or simply ask questions for stock or aftermarket audio. No Flames! (except from roasted amps)

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-07-2010, 02:52 PM   #1
Senior Member
True Car Nut
Thread Starter
 
raptor660's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Eaton Rapids MI
Posts: 2,964
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
raptor660 is on a distinguished road
Default Question about Sub Sonic Filter

My new amp (Soundstream XTA-600.2) has an adjustable sub sonic filter... I dont have a huge knowledge about these... But i believe the main reason for it is to not allow ur sub to play frequencies above their capabilities... My 15'* (pair of JL 15" W0'*) have a frequency response of 20-200 Hz... Well i believe my sub sonic filter is only adjustable from 30-160Hz or so.. So what is th point then? Do i just set it at 160hz?
This is my amp
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+XTA600.2.html

*note.. this is my temp setup until i get a proper box built for my 2 12" HX2'*.. But i will prolly continue to use this amp.. I LIKE IT
raptor660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:15 PM   #2
Senior Member
True Car Nut
Thread Starter
 
raptor660's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Eaton Rapids MI
Posts: 2,964
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
raptor660 is on a distinguished road
Default

My amp puts out 150X2 rms at 4 ohms, 300X2 rms at 2 ohms. and these Subs are single 4 ohm.. so my hook up options are limited.. They sound good with 150w rms each.. but once installed in a better enclosure i would like to give em more power.. but if i bridge the subs ill be putting 600rms to each sub right?
raptor660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:22 PM   #3
Senior Member
True Car Nut
Thread Starter
 
raptor660's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Eaton Rapids MI
Posts: 2,964
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
raptor660 is on a distinguished road
Default

600w rms bridged
raptor660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:28 PM   #4
Senior Member
Posts like a Turbo
 
cracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hibbing MN
Posts: 327
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cracker is on a distinguished road
Default

subsonic from whats i know is to set the bottom end up. say in a ported box tuned to 35 you wouldnt really want to set the SSF any lower than the box tuning. in a sealed box its cool to adjust however low cuz the sealed box has more controol of the cone. so all in all im guessingthise 15s are sealed so set it as low as you want and will be safe i had mine set a lil lower than my box tuning and never smelt coil.
cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:43 PM   #5
Senior Member
True Car Nut
Thread Starter
 
raptor660's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Eaton Rapids MI
Posts: 2,964
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
raptor660 is on a distinguished road
Default

They r currently in sealed boxes but they arent the best.. i will be getting a better box friday i believe.. which is also sealed.. but wondering if i should get a ported box for em.. ive heard good and bad things about these subs in ported enclosures. Ive heard that they make popping noises sometimes if mounted in ported enclosures but that cant always be true... but i believe i like sealed for these because they only handle 500max (150-350rms) and i wouldnt beable to put much to em if they r in ported enclosures do to no pressure/suction to keep em from hitting to hard
raptor660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:46 PM   #6
Senior Member
Posts like a Turbo
 
cracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hibbing MN
Posts: 327
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cracker is on a distinguished road
Default

yeah i bet the "popping" noise is from bottoming out lol sealed might just be the way to go with these due to space a ported box would use and the power handling would be a lil better too.
cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:59 PM   #7
Senior Member
True Car Nut
Thread Starter
 
raptor660's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Eaton Rapids MI
Posts: 2,964
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
raptor660 is on a distinguished road
Default

yea its not like they have long excursion or a high power handling or a big surround..
raptor660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:15 PM   #8
Senior Member
Posts like a Turbo
 
cracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hibbing MN
Posts: 327
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cracker is on a distinguished road
Default

ive heard the W0 15"* in the past in a exploder and it wasnt bad at all for a sealed box and not very much power handling.
cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:42 PM   #9
Senior Member
True Car Nut
Thread Starter
 
raptor660's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Eaton Rapids MI
Posts: 2,964
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
raptor660 is on a distinguished road
Default

THATS WHAT IM SAYING!! LOL, I cant believe they are as good as they are, SQ and SPL.. just a few db'* less than my 4 12'* with 1000w rms Alpine amp. And im only using a 600w rms amp with em (not that they could handle much more anyhow)
raptor660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:27 AM   #10
Senior Member
Posts like a Turbo
 
04MonteLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA.
Posts: 326
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
04MonteLS is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor660 View Post
My new amp (Soundstream XTA-600.2) has an adjustable sub sonic filter... I dont have a huge knowledge about these... But i believe the main reason for it is to not allow ur sub to play frequencies above their capabilities... My 15'* (pair of JL 15" W0'*) have a frequency response of 20-200 Hz... Well i believe my sub sonic filter is only adjustable from 30-160Hz or so.. So what is th point then? Do i just set it at 160hz?
This is my amp
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+XTA600.2.html

*note.. this is my temp setup until i get a proper box built for my 2 12" HX2'*.. But i will prolly continue to use this amp.. I LIKE IT
Close, but it'* the opposite. It controls/limits how low the sub or subs can play. What kind of box are your subs in and if ported, what is it tuned to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracker View Post
subsonic from whats i know is to set the bottom end up. say in a ported box tuned to 35 you wouldnt really want to set the SSF any lower than the box tuning. in a sealed box its cool to adjust however low cuz the sealed box has more controol of the cone. so all in all im guessingthise 15s are sealed so set it as low as you want and will be safe i had mine set a lil lower than my box tuning and never smelt coil.
Why would you go against your own advice on not setting the SSF below box tuning? From what I understand, you want to set the SSF about 10Hz below tuning.....but how the hell do you do that???? So what I do is set it by ear and by eye.....I start with the filter all the way turned down to the lowest setting and play a song that I know hits lower than my tuning frequency. With the SSF turned to it'* lowest setting you'll see that your sub moves alot after the bass hits and looks uncontrolled and looks like unnecessary movement since you can't hear any output at times.......you'll see what i'm talking about if you pay attention. So I just turn the SSF up until the cone movement is controlled and tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor660 View Post
They r currently in sealed boxes but they arent the best.. i will be getting a better box friday i believe.. which is also sealed.. but wondering if i should get a ported box for em.. ive heard good and bad things about these subs in ported enclosures. Ive heard that they make popping noises sometimes if mounted in ported enclosures but that cant always be true... but i believe i like sealed for these because they only handle 500max (150-350rms) and i wouldnt beable to put much to em if they r in ported enclosures do to no pressure/suction to keep em from hitting to hard
In a sealed box you can turn the SSF off. The point of the SSF is to prevent over excursion of your subs in a ported box since the box itself doesn't help at all with that. In a sealed box the cone movement is much more controlled which is one of the main reasons for added power handling capabilities. So yeah, no SSF needed when your subs are in a sealed box.
04MonteLS is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New sub.. Biggest sub ever!!!!!!!!!! No joke! Check this out!!!!! raptor660 Audio (and aftermarket electronics) 18 07-08-2011 08:29 PM
Chevy Sonic roboticjunky General GM Chat 21 01-12-2011 01:50 PM
Munster Rod at Sonic GunsOfNavarone Lounge 5 05-03-2010 02:04 PM
Sonic Boom Kevin McCartney Lounge 15 09-10-2007 02:49 AM
Cool at a sonic.... bandit Lounge 7 07-17-2006 02:20 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:49 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.