JL 10W3 - Page 2 - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


Audio (and aftermarket electronics) This is your place for alarms, remote starters, to brag about your system, exaggerate your db levels, or simply ask questions for stock or aftermarket audio. No Flames! (except from roasted amps)

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-27-2004, 08:28 PM   #11
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,684
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
smellbird is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezcollector
See we as humans are easily fooled into believing hype.. JL is a good company but there products have not been anything special in the last few years..
Why not buy a product based on the name? If they made a good name for themselves it was because of superior performance. And all companies are into making money so they do what will continue to make them money.
I could have bought a 1000$ amp to power my speakers, but I didnt want to buy a comp amp, just something that would supply enough juice that had decent ratings. I got a M-class Memphis, not the worlds best amp, but for what I needed it was a good choice.
There'* a fine line between smart and stupid.
smellbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 09:43 PM   #12
Senior Member
Posts like a Camaro
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 1,074
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
phoenix_flame220 is on a distinguished road
Default

Silverbullet: You bought your son a sub and amp? will you be my daddy?? kidding, but its great that he has a father that shares an interest in what he likes. Great gift. From what I hear W3'* are quite good and yes they rely on their name, but they are very well built and look pretty cool. Enjoy your earplugs :P
phoenix_flame220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 11:00 PM   #13
Senior Member
Certified Car Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 15,928
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BonneMeMN is on a distinguished road
Default

JL aren't after SPL awards... It'* SQ.

I dont' see Orion HCCA amps mentioned there in that list either? I seem to remember lots of those in 90'* competitions Excusrsion isn't a measure of performance, and Design Quality is subjective. Sound Quality is based off of the Box and setup much more then the used driver.

They're not the best, but they're better then most all mass market stuff.

Definitive huh? I like their towers... I did get some B&W instead, but Definitive makes some nice gear.
BonneMeMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 01:16 AM   #14
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
GAMEOVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Racine Wi
Posts: 5,146
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GAMEOVER is on a distinguished road
Default

what about alumapro???
GAMEOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 11:55 PM   #15
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2000SilverBullet is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Enjoy your earplugs
Well, right you are about that.
I know it'* only a 10" with a measily 500 watts but......
I now have one Bumpin Jeep.

My son loves to crank it up so I have to wear earplugs when he comes along.
I took Taylors advice and installed a boost **** but he soon discovered where that is hidden and turns it up to the max.

I think I'll keep the Bonne Bumpin free. The stock system suits me just fine, besides I love to listen to mechanical sounds of the engine, exhaust and supercharger whine.
2000SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 01:46 PM   #16
Senior Member
Posts like a Corvette
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bolingbrook, IL Location: Clarkston, MI
Posts: 1,256
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
llBlazin_llLo is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000SilverBullet
Quote:
Enjoy your earplugs
Well, right you are about that.
I know it'* only a 10" with a measily 500 watts but......
I now have one Bumpin Jeep.

My son loves to crank it up so I have to wear earplugs when he comes along.
I took Taylors advice and installed a boost **** but he soon discovered where that is hidden and turns it up to the max.

I think I'll keep the Bonne Bumpin free. The stock system suits me just fine, besides I love to listen to mechanical sounds of the engine, exhaust and supercharger whine.
That'* all I have (10w7 and 500/1) and it is still overkill for me and I have 300 watts running to my components. Make sure you son takes it easy on the bass **** because whatever he turns that **** to (i.e. +15db) it is making the amp work 15 times as hard!
llBlazin_llLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 03:26 PM   #17
Senior Member
Certified GM nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,712
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TaylorD is on a distinguished road
Default

Glad you and your son are happy! that'* all that matters.

For the record, don't know why I feel the need to explain myself, but I will, I did give paul a few other choices and this is what him and his son decided. Be happy for them and there first car sub purchase.

ibanez- I've been into stereo comps for 3 years now and most of eveything you listed is all SPL stuff, there'* nothing wrong with that but it'* not for everyone, I agree that for the money of w7'* theres other good choices to consider. Also with those other brands listed how many of them can you get free replacement on their equipment at a retrailer? Mine are for 5 years. that' tought to beat. also if you didn't know I didn't pay retail cost on my setup for anything, it would of costed a fortune.

As for type R'* my buddy has one and he works at a stereo shop btw, he'* built sealed and ported boxes for it. I'll say that it sounded louder than my 2 w7'* but so what, sounded distorted to me, far from clear and tight let me tell you. So great for SPL and very poor for SQ. We've all seen the videos of you car/sub setup, glad you like it, with a trunk rattling like that bet it sounds REAL clear and tight on the inside. you don't hear people bashing you for it. untill now.....

Back on track, Paul hope you and your son have some great bonding experiences in the years ahead of you both.
TaylorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 08:01 PM   #18
Senior Member
Posts like a Supercharger
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 166
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ibanezcollector is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorD
Glad you and your son are happy! that'* all that matters.

For the record, don't know why I feel the need to explain myself, but I will, I did give paul a few other choices and this is what him and his son decided. Be happy for them and there first car sub purchase.

ibanez- I've been into stereo comps for 3 years now and most of eveything you listed is all SPL stuff, there'* nothing wrong with that but it'* not for everyone, I agree that for the money of w7'* theres other good choices to consider. Also with those other brands listed how many of them can you get free replacement on their equipment at a retrailer? Mine are for 5 years. that' tought to beat. also if you didn't know I didn't pay retail cost on my setup for anything, it would of costed a fortune.

As for type R'* my buddy has one and he works at a stereo shop btw, he'* built sealed and ported boxes for it. I'll say that it sounded louder than my 2 w7'* but so what, sounded distorted to me, far from clear and tight let me tell you. So great for SPL and very poor for SQ. We've all seen the videos of you car/sub setup, glad you like it, with a trunk rattling like that bet it sounds REAL clear and tight on the inside. you don't hear people bashing you for it. untill now.....

Back on track, Paul hope you and your son have some great bonding experiences in the years ahead of you both.
Here we go...

W3'* are not sound quality subs neither is W7 hell the company themselves label it as a SQL sub

Now if you were to go for pure sound quality theres a difference yes..

As for my car yes in the vid it rattled that was pre dynamat. I dont distort my sub or my amp settings to just be loud..,.. to be honest in my car it isnt that loud at all its deep.. Excursion.. I build custom boxes and with that I can make that 10 push more air enough to outperform many peoples 12'*

as I stated its all in the install. I never bashed him for buying JL just simply said there is better deals for the buck.

Now it sounds like to me his son likes it loud and bumping, so SQ isnt the issue here, and since he is more than happy with the stock radio in the bonne, he isnt to concerned with SQ either..

So in closing I would still say he could of saved money and went a different route and possibly got more for his buck.
ibanezcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 12:18 AM   #19
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2000SilverBullet is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
So in closing I would still say he could of saved money and went a different route and possibly got more for his buck.

Of course I could have saved money and built my own box and even install it myself...but it really doesn't turn me on as much as wrenching in the engine compartment. I can afford to spend the $500. it cost me to buy a custom JL box & amp, and the $100. for someone else to install it.

The OEM stereo in my 00 Bonne must be much better than the one in your 93 Iban cause it sounds pretty good, and I really do have an ear for music. I have alway had a very high end home system.
Remember, I'm an old fart who doesn't have the hearing range I used to have when I was your age.......because I used to listen to loud music all the time

Taylor, I have adjusted the amp....it has a lot of controls for frequency range, sensitivity and cut off frequency.....so it really isn't that boomy. Like you said, it really depends on the type of music.
I adjusted the sensitivity with the reciever loudness on, so when I turn it off, it doesn't vibrate the body panels.
Shhhhhh.....don't tell my son that the loudness is turned off.
2000SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 12:25 AM   #20
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The South
Posts: 3,281
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lowrider0308 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000SilverBullet
Quote:
So in closing I would still say he could of saved money and went a different route and possibly got more for his buck.

Of course I could have saved money and built my own box and even install it myself...but it really doesn't turn me on as much as wrenching in the engine compartment. I can afford to spend the $500. it cost me to buy a custom JL box & amp, and the $100. for someone else to install it.

The OEM stereo in my 00 Bonne must be much better than the one in your 93 Iban cause it sounds pretty good, and I really do have an ear for music. I have alway had a very high end home system.
Remember, I'm an old fart who doesn't have the hearing range I used to have when I was your age.......because I used to listen to loud music all the time

Taylor, I have adjusted the amp....it has a lot of controls for frequency range, sensitivity and cut off frequency.....so it really isn't that boomy. Like you said, it really depends on the type of music.
I adjusted the sensitivity with the reciever loudness on, so when I turn it off, it doesn't vibrate the body panels.
Shhhhhh.....don't tell my son that the loudness is turned off.
you know he will probably find this post, re-adjust the amp to its loudess and boomiest setting, and blow your eardrums out right. lol
Lowrider0308 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:24 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.