Who makes decent rotors / brakes? Upgrade? - Page 3 - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


2000-2005 Discuss your 2000-2005 Bonneville SE, SLE, and SSEi Please use General Chat for non-mechanical issues, and Performance and Brainstorming for improvements.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-29-2010, 08:54 PM   #21
Member
Posts like a V-Tak
 
4carb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: S. Maine
Posts: 68
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
4carb is on a distinguished road
Default

I installed Napa'* best rotors and pads on the ssei, absolutely the worst brake parts ever. Some have complained of recent about Napa brake parts, cheapy to thier good stuff. Whenever it rained, you would almost literally have to use two feet on the brake pedel to stop the car. NOT safe. I checked to see if they were glazed, nope. Not to mention they warped in about a month after installation.....

I went onto Tirerack and ordered the ATE slotted rotors and Akebono pads. VERY nice pedel feel and after about 10 months, it doesn't rattle your teeth out when you hit the brakes like the Napa rotors did.

I installed the Power slots and Akebono pads on a friends work truck. He has been very pleased. I installed Napa cheapy stuff on it originally as it was a lease, he decided to keep it. Pads were wore out in a year and didn't stop for crap. No complaints from him, he wants me to do the same parts on his girlfriends vehicle when the time comes.
4carb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:24 PM   #22
Senior Member
Posts like a Turbo
Thread Starter
 
SilverSleeper8704's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: "Upstate" NY. Where cows outnumber people
Posts: 441
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
SilverSleeper8704 is on a distinguished road
Default

Well, I went the Tire Rack route, and the Akebono pads with the cryogenic treated rotors. I haven't heard anything bad about rotors that have been cryo treated, so, at the worst I'm paying for something that isn't worth it.. but on the outside small chance that it does actually help the longevity and keeping the rotor within spec longer, I'll take my chances.

Ordered yesterday, scheduled to be here tomorrow. Guess I'll find out then. Its supposed to rain all day (lucky me with no garage..) but I'll try to get em on anyway.
I understand the ceramics have a quite long bed in procedure, but a week of driving to work (taking it easy) should have them set in, I think.

Although, I'm used to having that initial "bite" of a composite pad, both on the LeSabre and on my Cruiser. I've heard that the ceramics are good, but are lacking in the initial bite factor, so it will take some getting used to.
SilverSleeper8704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:18 AM   #23
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
xtremerevolution's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Lenox, IL
Posts: 2,478
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
xtremerevolution is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSleeper8704 View Post
Well, I went the Tire Rack route, and the Akebono pads with the cryogenic treated rotors. I haven't heard anything bad about rotors that have been cryo treated, so, at the worst I'm paying for something that isn't worth it.. but on the outside small chance that it does actually help the longevity and keeping the rotor within spec longer, I'll take my chances.

Ordered yesterday, scheduled to be here tomorrow. Guess I'll find out then. Its supposed to rain all day (lucky me with no garage..) but I'll try to get em on anyway.
I understand the ceramics have a quite long bed in procedure, but a week of driving to work (taking it easy) should have them set in, I think.

Although, I'm used to having that initial "bite" of a composite pad, both on the LeSabre and on my Cruiser. I've heard that the ceramics are good, but are lacking in the initial bite factor, so it will take some getting used to.
Never had that problem with the R1 slotted rotors. You break them in the first couple days and do some really hard stops. The slots do a great job of biting hard and constantly cleaning off the surface of the pads.
xtremerevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:01 AM   #24
Member
Posts like a V-Tak
 
4carb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: S. Maine
Posts: 68
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
4carb is on a distinguished road
Default

I didn't have a problem breaking mine in either. Nice bite right from the start...errr, stop.
4carb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:33 AM   #25
Senior Member
Posts like a Turbo
Thread Starter
 
SilverSleeper8704's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: "Upstate" NY. Where cows outnumber people
Posts: 441
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
SilverSleeper8704 is on a distinguished road
Default

Right from Tire Rack'* website:

Quote:
Bedding-in new pads and rotors should be done carefully and slowly. Rapid heat build up in the brake system can lead to warped rotors and or glazed brake pads. Most brake pad compounds will take up to 300-400 miles to fully develop an even transfer film on the rotors. Following are the recommended bed-in procedures from each manufacturer:

AKEBONO

400 to 500 miles of moderate driving is recommended. Consumer should avoid heavy braking during this period.
I'll stick with that.

For more aggressive pads, like the Hawk, they say to do a bunch of short stops from 60, but without completely stopping, then drive the car to cool things off. I did that with my current composite pads on both my Cruiser and the LeSabre when I first put them on. Worked great, but that was their recommended break in.
SilverSleeper8704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:38 AM   #26
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
xtremerevolution's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Lenox, IL
Posts: 2,478
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
xtremerevolution is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSleeper8704 View Post
Right from Tire Rack'* website:



I'll stick with that.

For more aggressive pads, like the Hawk, they say to do a bunch of short stops from 60, but without completely stopping, then drive the car to cool things off. I did that with my current composite pads on both my Cruiser and the LeSabre when I first put them on. Worked great, but that was their recommended break in.
If your (hypothetically speaking) rotors are suceptible to warping during your break in period, you bought shitty rotors. I've never had a problem.

300-400 miles sounds like a decent break-in period, but a bit surprising from a pad advertised as a high performance ceramic. I personally don't think it matters, but I guess it doesn't hurt to be safe. In the end, you still have a very good set of pads.
xtremerevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:48 AM   #27
Senior Member
Posts like a Turbo
Thread Starter
 
SilverSleeper8704's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: "Upstate" NY. Where cows outnumber people
Posts: 441
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
SilverSleeper8704 is on a distinguished road
Default

I think that the Rack'* procedures are somewhat conservative, but then, they cater to a lot of people who might be doing this on their own for the first time. Those of us who have been doing brake jobs for enough years know how to bed in pads without warping a rotor. But they are just trying to offer advice to those attempting it themselves. They would rather someone go easy on break in, than to have to deal with a customer wanting to return a warped rotor because they screwed up.
SilverSleeper8704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:52 AM   #28
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
xtremerevolution's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Lenox, IL
Posts: 2,478
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
xtremerevolution is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSleeper8704 View Post
I think that the Rack'* procedures are somewhat conservative, but then, they cater to a lot of people who might be doing this on their own for the first time. Those of us who have been doing brake jobs for enough years know how to bed in pads without warping a rotor. But they are just trying to offer advice to those attempting it themselves. They would rather someone go easy on break in, than to have to deal with a customer wanting to return a warped rotor because they screwed up.
That'* true. Hadn't thought of the masses when I posted that, lol.
xtremerevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:02 PM   #29
Senior Member
Posts like a Turbo
Thread Starter
 
SilverSleeper8704's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: "Upstate" NY. Where cows outnumber people
Posts: 441
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
SilverSleeper8704 is on a distinguished road
Default

UPS just dropped them off. Very nice pieces. I am impressed with the rotors, they seem to be very well made, at least when it comes to the tiny details. Same goes for the pads. There weren't any specific break in instructions with the pads, so I'm gonna just follow the Rack'* suggestion. With all the miles I put on going to work, should be fine. Just gotta watch out for the deer till they are set in, or I may be in for a surprise!
Now.. if it will ever stop raining so I can put the things on already!!!
SilverSleeper8704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:08 PM   #30
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
xtremerevolution's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Lenox, IL
Posts: 2,478
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
xtremerevolution is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSleeper8704 View Post
UPS just dropped them off. Very nice pieces. I am impressed with the rotors, they seem to be very well made, at least when it comes to the tiny details. Same goes for the pads. There weren't any specific break in instructions with the pads, so I'm gonna just follow the Rack'* suggestion. With all the miles I put on going to work, should be fine. Just gotta watch out for the deer till they are set in, or I may be in for a surprise!
Now.. if it will ever stop raining so I can put the things on already!!!
You're going to absolutely love those pads man!
xtremerevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Summit makes drilled/slotted rotors for the Bonneville LittleHoov Performance, Brainstorming & Tuning 16 06-07-2006 06:54 PM
FE2 swaybars upgrade: springs upgrade optional or no? Bugsi Performance, Brainstorming & Tuning 7 11-20-2005 09:16 PM
Strongly considering an upgrade...Upgrade complete! randman1 1992-1999 21 06-28-2004 01:14 AM
Nice "little" upgrade (turbo upgrade that is) Burgundy_Boat Lounge 6 09-07-2003 04:36 AM
Brakes Brakes Brakes Terran 2000-2005 11 04-27-2003 11:28 PM


Tags
adaptive, brakes, concepts, napa, pads, ri

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:31 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.