EGR blocking - Page 2 - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


2000-2005 Discuss your 2000-2005 Bonneville SE, SLE, and SSEi Please use General Chat for non-mechanical issues, and Performance and Brainstorming for improvements.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-19-2003, 04:32 PM   #11
Member
Posts like a V-Tak
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Round Rock, TX
Posts: 65
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SSEi 2000 is on a distinguished road
Default EGR SES

Thanks, it does not affect my performance with the SES light on. It is just annoying.
SSEi 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 10:05 AM   #12
Member
Posts like a V-Tak
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Round Rock, TX
Posts: 65
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SSEi 2000 is on a distinguished road
Default

Alright I finally got to fixing my EGR valve. Or so I thought. I unhooked the EGR valve at the exhaust manifold removed the steel flange that holds the tube to the manifold. I had that welded shut put it back on so I do not have any exhaust leaks. I next took a small filter and routed a hose from the inlet tube of my EGR to the filter. I still have the SES light, and now it seems my car is in "limp mode". Will this go away if I have the light reset? Any help would be great.
SSEi 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 01:27 PM   #13
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Holt, MI & Lima, OH
Posts: 3,022
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dbtk2 is on a distinguished road
Default

Although I am not sure exactly what you are saying I think I understand and if it is as you say it is there should be no problem. But limp mode will go away when the problem is fixed even if the light is still on, so it still has the problem. If you weren't so damn far away (I am in Michigan) I would check what the code is and try to figure out what the problem is, but that can't be done unless you are planning on coming to MI any time soon. It would really help if you could just get me a picture of what you did to the EGR so I can see if I can figure out what the problem is. DO NOT TAKE THE CAR TO THE DEALER! You disabled the EGR, they are not going to like that. Please get some pics, I can help you better with pics. The only thing I can think of is you screwed up the exhaust or something and that cause the PCM to switch to limp mode, it doesn't seem like the EGR could do that but I guess it could.
dbtk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 05:14 PM   #14
Member
Posts like a V-Tak
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Round Rock, TX
Posts: 65
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SSEi 2000 is on a distinguished road
Default EGR SES

It was running fine when I had the EGR blocked, and it was getting no airflow. I just got an SES light, but the car ran fine. I did take it to the dealer and had them read the code. The code read that the EGR flow was insufficient. I had it reset, and it came back on about one minute later I did not even get out of the parking lot. That was when I had the EGR blocked at the exhaust manifold with the EGR getting no airflow. Following your instructions (not blaming you) I blocked the EGR port at the exhaust manifold and left the EGR tube open to the outside world with a filter of course. The car still has the SES light but now runs like shi... the tranny gets into high gears quicker, and it has almost no power. I just assume "limp mode". Anyway I will get the best pics I can, and post them for you tonight.
SSEi 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 08:32 PM   #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2000SilverBullet is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
It was running fine when I had the EGR blocked, and it was getting no airflow. I just got an SES light, but the car ran fine. I did take it to the dealer and had them read the code. The code read that the EGR flow was insufficient. I had it reset, and it came back on about one minute later I did not even get out of the parking lot. That was when I had the EGR blocked at the exhaust manifold with the EGR getting no airflow. Following your instructions (not blaming you) I blocked the EGR port at the exhaust manifold and left the EGR tube open to the outside world with a filter of course. The car still has the SES light but now runs like shi... the tranny gets into high gears quicker, and it has almost no power. I just assume "limp mode". Anyway I will get the best pics I can, and post them for you tonight.
Shudder. I don't understand why you are messing with that.
What performance gains are you hoping to achieve Sounds like you are creating a disaster.
2000SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 09:29 PM   #16
Member
Posts like a V-Tak
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Round Rock, TX
Posts: 65
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SSEi 2000 is on a distinguished road
Default

Alright alright I feel like a dumb a!&. I was going to take the pics for you when I noticed the nut that holds the tube onthe intake side of the EGR was loose. I tightened it up it is running fine now. I took it to have the SES reset drove it for about a half hour and no light. I will post my pics anyway though. Wait how do you do that?
SSEi 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 01:39 AM   #17
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Holt, MI & Lima, OH
Posts: 3,022
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dbtk2 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Alright alright I feel like a dumb a!&. I was going to take the pics for you when I noticed the nut that holds the tube onthe intake side of the EGR was loose. I tightened it up it is running fine now. I took it to have the SES reset drove it for about a half hour and no light. I will post my pics anyway though. Wait how do you do that?
Simple things can cause big problems. That is why I always take extra care and precaution when modding. Since it is running right, and no SES light, why do I need to see pics.

Quote:
Shudder. I don't understand why you are messing with that.
What performance gains are you hoping to achieve Sounds like you are creating a disaster.
I understand completely why he is messing with it. If you have ever seen how dirty the EGR makes your engine you would block it off as soon as you got a chance. I have seen a picture of an Intercooler removed after 1000 miles of use, and because of the EGR it was BLACK. The EGR just makes your engine filthy. It really makes your blower filthy too. We blocked it off for the main reason of not wanting to have to take our Intercooler out and clean it all the time (you have to clean it every 50,000 miles normally for optimum performance, with an EGR you have to clean it every 10-15,000 miles) Maybe I can get you some pics of what the EGR does. There is nothing wrong with leaving it in, as it won't hurt performance KR wise because it is closed under WOT, but it does make everything filthy, and dirt can restrict airflow, and after time that will cause you power loss, but it would take a bit of dirt. We plan on leaving it in the SSEi. If you don't have an Intercooler it isn't very necessary, but just basically helps to keep things clean.
dbtk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 11:00 AM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2000SilverBullet is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with leaving it in, as it won't hurt performance KR wise because it is closed under WOT, but it does make everything filthy, and dirt can restrict airflow, and after time that will cause you power loss, but it would take a bit of dirt. We plan on leaving it in the SSEi. If you don't have an Intercooler it isn't very necessary, but just basically helps to keep things clean.
Makes perfect sense. I blocked off the one in my Firebird too for heat reasons.
If I ever get an intercooler I will do it too.
ZZP says it reduces mileage by 1 mpg which isn't too bad..a good trade off for not having to tear down the top end to clean as often.
Thanks.
2000SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 11:54 PM   #19
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Holt, MI & Lima, OH
Posts: 3,022
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dbtk2 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
ZZP says it reduces mileage by 1 mpg which isn't too bad..a good trade off for not having to tear down the top end to clean as often.
I don't know if this is true though. We didn't notice any loss in gas mileage in the GTP after removing it, if anything we got a gain in gas mileage. But, yeah, I don't see any real need to remove it unless you really want things clean or you have an IC. I don't see it coming off the SSEi anytime soon...although it may be coming off the TGP when I start modding it, as I will need basically every advantage I can get. (I am hoping low 13'* or very high 12'* with the stock turbo (very very small turbo (Garrett T25), and stock cam with it, it is the 3.1 Multi Port Fuel Injection engine, rated 205 horsepower stock, hoping to get it closer to 350 or 375. )

Quote:
Thanks.
Anytime, as always.
dbtk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 10:53 AM   #20
Member
Posts like a V-Tak
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Round Rock, TX
Posts: 65
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SSEi 2000 is on a distinguished road
Default EGR Blocking

I guess I should explain my whole reasoning behind blocking my EGR. It all started in back in 1977 Just kidding it all did start after reading a free mod article on ZZP; I believe; talking about how the TB gasket can sometimes hang out into the air path and cause a smaller hole, and not to mention turbulence. Any way I was checking that out. I looked at the back of my TB and inside my blower, and it was nasty black. I wondered for a minute what would cause this, as all that is passing through there is air. Then I realized it was the EGR; so I was determined at that time to block it. I tell you I do not have an IC nor do I hope to gain any realizable HP. But you cannot tell me that the hot unfiltered exhaust gas entering into my SC helps anything. Not to mention what are the supposed benifits of EGR anyway? On my car it is only sampling the #6 cylinder. Anyway thanks for all the help it is running great now that I fixed my little screw up.
SSEi 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Per blocking coolant flow to throttle body of 3.8L David C Buick 16 10-13-2015 03:47 PM
EGR low flow. Replaced EGR, still getting code 1997_LeSabre 1992-1999 8 04-20-2005 10:06 AM
EGR problem! MikeDiaz General GM Chat 6 09-05-2002 11:30 PM
'95 SSEi EGR valve/O2 sensor replacement Brad_Olson 1992-1999 3 07-21-2002 01:22 AM
Where is the EGR valve Greg 1992-1999 2 12-31-1969 08:00 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:21 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.