Serie I Intake leaks - Page 2 - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


1992-1999 Series I L27 (1992-1994 SE,SLE, SSE) & Series II L36 (1995-1999 SE, SSE, SLE) and common problems for the Series I and II L67 (all supercharged models 92-99) Including Olds 88's, Olds LSS's and Buick Lesabres Please use General Chat for non-mechanical issues, and Performance and Brainstorming for improvements.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-10-2003, 10:20 AM   #11
Member
Posts like a V-Tak
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Blue Springs, MO
Posts: 66
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
stevej94 is on a distinguished road
Default Intake leaks

OK, I went and ordered the gaskets. Thought I'd replace the thermostat with a 180 while I'm at it and maybe paint the manifold red while I have it off. Thanks for all the info.
stevej94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 01:23 PM   #12
Junior Member
Posts like a Ricer Type-R
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
willwren is on a distinguished road
Default

Keep us posted if we're right

Our ego'* need the boost. If we're wrong, we don't wanna hear about it. On a serious note, get a fuel injector O-ring kit from the dealer while you're at it. You'll see why when you pull your fuel rail.
willwren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 03:36 PM   #13
Junior Member
Posts like a Ricer Type-R
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
willwren is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Upper intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathRat
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej94
Oil looks fine. It still has some transparency even after a 1000 miles on it. I've had a car blow a head gasket before and I know what coolant in the oil does. How does oil get into the intake in this case, though? Are there oil passages that pass through the manifold? Why would an intake manifold carry oil?
It doesn't! It just seals off the upper block grom the heads itself. It the lower intake seals are leaking oil, it'* 90% chance they will leak EXTERNALLY. The other 10% chance it will leak into the combustion chamber entrance into the head itself. The oil comes from the Hydrallic Lifter galleries BTW & used to lubricate them externally as well as the ballance shaft.
I'd have to look, but I'd bet the EGR passage may be another route for oil contamination.
willwren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 08:57 PM   #14
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, AB Canada
Posts: 2,621
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DeathRat is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Upper intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by willwren
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathRat
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej94
Oil looks fine. It still has some transparency even after a 1000 miles on it. I've had a car blow a head gasket before and I know what coolant in the oil does. How does oil get into the intake in this case, though? Are there oil passages that pass through the manifold? Why would an intake manifold carry oil?
It doesn't! It just seals off the upper block grom the heads itself. It the lower intake seals are leaking oil, it'* 90% chance they will leak EXTERNALLY. The other 10% chance it will leak into the combustion chamber entrance into the head itself. The oil comes from the Hydrallic Lifter galleries BTW & used to lubricate them externally as well as the ballance shaft.
I'd have to look, but I'd bet the EGR passage may be another route for oil contamination.
That'* on the Series II'* though as it runs through the upper intake & not a side passage like on the Series I'*.
DeathRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 08:58 PM   #15
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, AB Canada
Posts: 2,621
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DeathRat is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by willwren
Keep us posted if we're right

Our ego'* need the boost. If we're wrong, we don't wanna hear about it. On a serious note, get a fuel injector O-ring kit from the dealer while you're at it. You'll see why when you pull your fuel rail.
FI o-rings are not really needed as you can just lubricate them & re-use them!
DeathRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 02:01 AM   #16
Junior Member
Posts like a Ricer Type-R
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
willwren is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Upper intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathRat
Quote:
Originally Posted by willwren
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathRat
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej94
Oil looks fine. It still has some transparency even after a 1000 miles on it. I've had a car blow a head gasket before and I know what coolant in the oil does. How does oil get into the intake in this case, though? Are there oil passages that pass through the manifold? Why would an intake manifold carry oil?
It doesn't! It just seals off the upper block grom the heads itself. It the lower intake seals are leaking oil, it'* 90% chance they will leak EXTERNALLY. The other 10% chance it will leak into the combustion chamber entrance into the head itself. The oil comes from the Hydrallic Lifter galleries BTW & used to lubricate them externally as well as the ballance shaft.
I'd have to look, but I'd bet the EGR passage may be another route for oil contamination.
That'* on the Series II'* though as it runs through the upper intake & not a side passage like on the Series I'*.
My goof.....I meant PCV passage. Sorry.
willwren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 09:46 AM   #17
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, AB Canada
Posts: 2,621
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DeathRat is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Upper intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by willwren
My goof.....I meant PCV passage. Sorry.
Well that might be a possibility.
DeathRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 06:02 PM   #18
Senior Member
Certified Car Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 15,928
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BonneMeMN is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Segal
Hi! I wish I had known about the intake manifold problems and checked for them like you are doing.That'* smart. I have a 1999/ 92K with total engine failure as of Tuesday and am getting a brand new engine. I am just now finding out about the problems with the Series 3800 engines and the intake manifolds, antifreeze in the engine, etc. What an expensive auto repair lesson.
Your engine is a series II, and his is a series I, the series II intake failure is guaranteed. the series I is more of an oddity, normally caused by high temps, etc.
BonneMeMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 07:15 PM   #19
Member
Posts like a V-Tak
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Blue Springs, MO
Posts: 66
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
stevej94 is on a distinguished road
Default oddity

Oh, great! I'm an oddity now.
OK, got my list and checking it twice at the dealer tomorrow:
Upper Intake manifold gasket kit
Throttle Body seal
Plastic Elbow (for what I'm not sure)
Lower intake manifold gasket set
180 degree thermostat, gasket and o-ring
Fuel injector o-rings (what the heck)
valve cover gaskets (while I'm at it)
degreaser
high temp red paint (for upper manifold and valve covers)
Boulevard Wheat Ale

Yeah, think I got it
stevej94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 08:21 PM   #20
Junior Member
Posts like a Ricer Type-R
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
willwren is on a distinguished road
Default Re: oddity

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej94
Oh, great! I'm an oddity now.
OK, got my list and checking it twice at the dealer tomorrow:
Upper Intake manifold gasket kit
Throttle Body seal
Plastic Elbow (for what I'm not sure)
Lower intake manifold gasket set
180 degree thermostat, gasket and o-ring
Fuel injector o-rings (what the heck)
valve cover gaskets (while I'm at it)
degreaser
high temp red paint (for upper manifold and valve covers)
Boulevard Wheat Ale

Yeah, think I got it
Plastic Elbow?
Valve cover gaskets? I doubt that'* where the leak is. VERY much doubt it. Could be wrong.

Fuel injector O-rings, you'll know why when you remove the rail and injectors.

boulevard Wheat Ale? Sounds Suspiciously like Hefeweizen. Good man!
willwren is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTB : 3800 Serie 1 Performance Part's ! Moparfans Performance, Brainstorming & Tuning 4 05-10-2008 08:35 PM
Serie 2 piston oversizing ...benefit?? mike_peperni Performance, Brainstorming & Tuning 9 03-05-2006 09:46 AM
GM addresses (some) L36 intake manifold leaks (56k warning) enmityst General GM Chat 5 04-09-2004 10:57 PM
Sunroof leaks. G2SSEi95 1992-1999 7 09-10-2003 01:35 AM
...TRUNK leaks >>> UPDATE! BusMaster007 1992-1999 8 01-21-2003 10:52 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:14 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.