Hud and Speedo Not in Sync - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


1992-1999 Series I L27 (1992-1994 SE,SLE, SSE) & Series II L36 (1995-1999 SE, SSE, SLE) and common problems for the Series I and II L67 (all supercharged models 92-99) Including Olds 88's, Olds LSS's and Buick Lesabres Please use General Chat for non-mechanical issues, and Performance and Brainstorming for improvements.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-03-2005, 02:44 AM   #1
Senior Member
Posts like a 4 Banger
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 104
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CrazyDaveFYM is on a distinguished road
Default Hud and Speedo Not in Sync

This is a minor annoyance, and I am curious if anybody else is experencing this. My Hud is around 1-4 mph faster than my analog speedo. It'* just a minor thing, and didn't know if there was a quick/easy fix. It seems the faster I go the worse it becomes.

Dave
CrazyDaveFYM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 02:59 AM   #2
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Farmington, Minnesota =MWBF '05 SURVIVOR= =CEBF '06 SURVIVOR= =August '06 COTM=
Posts: 9,130
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LakevilleSSEi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hud and Speedo Not in Sync

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDaveFYM
This is a minor annoyance, and I am curious if anybody else is experencing this. My Hud is around 1-4 mph faster than my analog speedo. It'* just a minor thing, and didn't know if there was a quick/easy fix. It seems the faster I go the worse it becomes.

Dave
They all do it...except some are slower, some are faster, some are way off....I think there are a few that are acurate though.....
LakevilleSSEi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 03:01 AM   #3
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
GAMEOVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Racine Wi
Posts: 5,146
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GAMEOVER is on a distinguished road
Default

mine is the same way
so which one do you trust?
GAMEOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 03:19 AM   #4
Senior Member
Posts like a 4 Banger
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 104
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CrazyDaveFYM is on a distinguished road
Default

personally, I go by the faster one, cause well frankly, if my hud says 80, and i'm actually traveling at 76, I'd rather think i'm going 80 so I wont get busted ... So I'd trust the higher number, just to be on the safe side. Well, that, AND I dont have to look at the dash

Dave
CrazyDaveFYM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 09:09 AM   #5
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 7,262
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ssesc93 is on a distinguished road
Default

my 97 SSE that i had read off like that once i went past 65mph. It was off by 3 though. My 93 that I have now seems to be off by 1. Its normal. Ask the dealer if there is a way to fix it.
ssesc93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 09:34 AM   #6
Senior Member
Posts like a Corvette
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 1,544
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NERV is on a distinguished road
Default

my hud is usually about 2 mph faster past 35, but i tend to trust the speedometer since it'* a mechanical measure of speed and the hud is electronic, but i dont both looking at it, if i wanna 60 i go 62 by my hud, i doubt 2 mph will make a difference to a cop
NERV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 10:01 AM   #7
Senior Member
Posts like a Camaro
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,166
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
mkaake is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NERV
my hud is usually about 2 mph faster past 35, but i tend to trust the speedometer since it'* a mechanical measure of speed and the hud is electronic, but i dont both looking at it, if i wanna 60 i go 62 by my hud, i doubt 2 mph will make a difference to a cop
both are driven by the same magnetic pickup, making it completely electronic. that'* why it'* so strange that they don't match - they're coming off of the same sensor. strange. unless it'* supposed to be that way...
mkaake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 11:41 AM   #8
Junior Member
Posts like a Ricer Type-R
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
willwren is on a distinguished road
Default

For anyone with a HUD faster than the speedo, Jstpsntym posted a fix for this about two years ago. Let'* go on the assumption your HUD reads 2mph fast:

1. Mildly accellerate up to 53mph and set the cruise control.
2. Roll down the driver'* window.
3. (need long arms for this) Reach around outside and grab the numbers of the HUD where they're floating in space, and firmly grasp them so they can't change.
4. Carefully, with your right hand, bump 'accel' on the cruise control twice to increase your speed by 2mph, but don't let go yet!
5. After the analog speedo reads 55mph, let go of the HUD numbers outside. They should be in sync now.
willwren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 11:45 AM   #9
Senior Member
Posts like a Camaro
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,166
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
mkaake is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by willwren
For anyone with a HUD faster than the speedo, Jstpsntym posted a fix for this about two years ago. Let'* go on the assumption your HUD reads 2mph fast:

1. Mildly accellerate up to 53mph and set the cruise control.
2. Roll down the driver'* window.
3. (need long arms for this) Reach around outside and grab the numbers of the HUD where they're floating in space, and firmly grasp them so they can't change.
4. Carefully, with your right hand, bump 'accel' on the cruise control twice to increase your speed by 2mph, but don't let go yet!
5. After the analog speedo reads 55mph, let go of the HUD numbers outside. They should be in sync now.
that'* a fantastic fix! why hadn't i thought of that one?

oh right - i'm short

mkaake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 12:42 PM   #10
Senior Member
Posts like a 4 Banger
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 104
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CrazyDaveFYM is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by willwren
For anyone with a HUD faster than the speedo, Jstpsntym posted a fix for this about two years ago. Let'* go on the assumption your HUD reads 2mph fast:

1. Mildly accellerate up to 53mph and set the cruise control.
2. Roll down the driver'* window.
3. (need long arms for this) Reach around outside and grab the numbers of the HUD where they're floating in space, and firmly grasp them so they can't change.
4. Carefully, with your right hand, bump 'accel' on the cruise control twice to increase your speed by 2mph, but don't let go yet!
5. After the analog speedo reads 55mph, let go of the HUD numbers outside. They should be in sync now.
i'm definately gonna have to try that one
CrazyDaveFYM is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HUD Vs Analog Speedo DJ SHO General GM Chat 11 09-26-2004 10:03 PM
Do i need to sync my keyless? BonneMeMN General GM Chat 16 01-12-2004 10:47 AM
Speedo vs HUD willwren 1992-1999 32 07-09-2003 09:00 PM
Hud and dash speedo not matching Mayhem_3 1992-1999 4 06-09-2003 05:25 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:30 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.