couple quick questions - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


1992-1999 Series I L27 (1992-1994 SE,SLE, SSE) & Series II L36 (1995-1999 SE, SSE, SLE) and common problems for the Series I and II L67 (all supercharged models 92-99) Including Olds 88's, Olds LSS's and Buick Lesabres Please use General Chat for non-mechanical issues, and Performance and Brainstorming for improvements.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-04-2005, 03:26 PM   #1
Senior Member
True Car Nut
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Climax Springs, Missouri
Posts: 2,493
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LittleHoov is on a distinguished road
Default couple quick questions

well my parents wont even let me order the parts to fix my upper until they visibly see that the upper is broken...grrness so im going to start working my way toward getting it off..so i have a few questions

which pulley is the one to release tension on the belt? pic? and whats the procedure for removing the alternator, i could figure it out as i go along but id rather have some idea before i tear into it..

secondly, is there any other way to remove the pressure on the fuel rail after the fuse has been pulled besides cranking the engine? right now my engine has no oil in it, and id rather not crank it..

does the dorman unit come with a new PCV o ring and all that jazz?

whats this plastic coolant elbow that people are talking about while removing the upper? pic?

thanks guys, youve been a great help to me over the years
LittleHoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 03:33 PM   #2
Senior Member
Certified Car Nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Robbinsdale, MN
Posts: 15,408
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MOS95B is on a distinguished road
Default

The yellow arrow points to the pulley you want...



To remove the pressure, on the right side of the fuel rail, looking at it from the front, under a little black cap is a pressure valve, kinda like on a tire. This will release the pressure. (on a 98 anyways)

That'* all I got....
MOS95B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 03:36 PM   #3
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Purgatory
Posts: 6,313
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PontiacDad is on a distinguished road
Default Re: couple quick questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleHoov
which pulley is the one to release tension on the belt? pic? and whats the procedure for removing the alternator
Just pull on the belt and you'll see which pulley dips down, thats the tensioner.

Quote:
secondly, is there any other way to remove the pressure on the fuel rail after the fuse has been pulled besides cranking the engine?
Remove the gas cap, look on the fuel rail for a black plastic cap (like a valve stem cap), this is for the shrader (sp) valve. Cover with a cloth and depress with a screw driver or similar, caution fuel will come spraying out keep it covered.

Quote:
does the dorman unit come with a new PCV o ring and all that jazz?
I would think you need a gasket kit as well.
PontiacDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 03:47 PM   #4
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Farmington, Minnesota =MWBF '05 SURVIVOR= =CEBF '06 SURVIVOR= =August '06 COTM=
Posts: 9,130
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LakevilleSSEi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: couple quick questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleHoov
well my parents wont even let me order the parts to fix my upper until they visibly see that the upper is broken...grrness so im going to start working my way toward getting it off..so i have a few questions

which pulley is the one to release tension on the belt? pic? and whats the procedure for removing the alternator, i could figure it out as i go along but id rather have some idea before i tear into it..

secondly, is there any other way to remove the pressure on the fuel rail after the fuse has been pulled besides cranking the engine? right now my engine has no oil in it, and id rather not crank it..

does the dorman unit come with a new PCV o ring and all that jazz?

whats this plastic coolant elbow that people are talking about while removing the upper? pic?

thanks guys, youve been a great help to me over the years
Break the intake with a hammer.....There now it'* physically busted. Go show mom and dad..

IIRC the tensioner pulley is the one straight down the center of the motor right about in the middle. Get a 15mm socket and ratchet and release the tension, slide the belt off.

Altenator Removal:

1.) Disconnect Negitive Battery Cable.
2.) Remove the belt.
3.) Remove the engine cover.
4.) Remove the front altenator support brace.
5.) Remove the altenator mounting bolts.
6.) Remove the rear pencil brace bolt.
7.) Unfasten the output terminal nut.
8.) Remove alternator electricals connecters.
9.) Remove alternator from the vehicle.

Install:

1.) Position alt. in vehicle.
2.) Attach the electrical connections and the output terminal nut. Tighten the nut to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm)
3.) Install the alternator mounting bolts and tighten to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm)
4.) Install the front alternator support brace and tighten the retainers to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm)
5.) Install rear pencil brace bolt and tighten to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm)
6.) Install Engine cover.
7.) Install Serp. belt.
8.) Connect the negitive battery cable.
9.) Drink beer.

As for bleeding the fuel rail pressure...make sure then engine is cold, find the schradfer valve on the fuel rail, stuff a rag underneath it and push the valve in with a screw driver or something until the fuel pressure has been relieved. I think that should work.
LakevilleSSEi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 04:27 PM   #5
DINOSAURUS BOOSTUS

Expert Gearhead
 
BillBoost37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Enfield, CT
Posts: 41,391
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of light
Default

Do you have a manual for working on the car?
BillBoost37 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
abs and trac off lights on couple quick questions. eltatertoto Buick 6 01-24-2014 11:36 PM
Couple of quick ? I need answered if possible Johnboy9 1992-1999 7 04-15-2008 02:06 PM
Couple quick vids... GonneVille Your Ride: GM Pictures & Videos 9 03-22-2008 12:46 AM
QUICK! QUICK! SPEED! QUICK! ferullo0 Performance, Brainstorming & Tuning 3 05-07-2007 05:09 PM
New here, have a couple of quick questions... xskeetskeetskeetx 1992-1999 7 01-24-2007 12:56 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:59 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.