Converter locked, add throttle = surging - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


1992-1999 Series I L27 (1992-1994 SE,SLE, SSE) & Series II L36 (1995-1999 SE, SSE, SLE) and common problems for the Series I and II L67 (all supercharged models 92-99) Including Olds 88's, Olds LSS's and Buick Lesabres Please use General Chat for non-mechanical issues, and Performance and Brainstorming for improvements.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-02-2007, 09:16 PM   #1
Senior Member
Certified Car Nut
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 15,928
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BonneMeMN is on a distinguished road
Default Converter locked, add throttle = surging

As the title states, I've got an issue with surging RPM/Power when the TCC is locked up and I apply throttle.

If i'm coasting @ 50 and i've got TCC lockup, adding throttle will cause surging throughout the car, but I do accelerate.

This didn't happen before the TB work, and a trans flush. I reset the computer just before my 70 mile trip today too, so it may still be learning the fuel maps. I can get a scantool on it tomorrow, and log what'* going on.
BonneMeMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 02:11 AM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Purgatory
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
harofreak00 is on a distinguished road
Default

initial thought-ignition problem
harofreak00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:05 AM   #3
Senior Member
Certified Car Nut
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 15,928
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BonneMeMN is on a distinguished road
Default

It wasn't mis-firing , or running rough, the only issue i've ever had with ignition was a WEIRD start where it sounded like I only had 4 cyl running 2 years ago. I shut that down right away, and she fired up normally 10 seconds later.

But.... today cruising @ 55 and giving it gas, it wasn't surging. For now i'll chalk it up to the PCM was learning still during that trip and after a few more starts today, and being about 90 miles into the PCM reset, it was non-existant.
BonneMeMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:15 AM   #4
DINOSAURUS BOOSTUS

Expert Gearhead
 
BillBoost37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Enfield, CT
Posts: 41,391
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of lightBillBoost37 is a glorious beacon of light
Default

Isn't 93 and adjustable TPS year? TPS is typically a trans shifting/TC lockup cause.
BillBoost37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:56 AM   #5
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NEBF:06,07 | NYBF:06,07 | ONBF:06,07 | CNBF:06 & more............
Posts: 8,029
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bandit is on a distinguished road
Default

Same problem as mine...
I have not found anything to fix it yet
bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:29 AM   #6
Junior Member
Posts like a Ricer Type-R
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
willwren is on a distinguished road
Default

93 isn't adjustable. 92 is.

I hate to be a repeat, but it'* typically ignition. EK98 was here a few days ago with the same symptoms. Surging in OD, TC locked. I drove the car. Easy diagnosis. Found bad plug wires. Temporary fix in place, problem gone. It only takes one cylinder to randomly misfire to produce that symptom. Many people misdiagnose it, and swear it'* not an igniition problem.

95% odds on a plug or wire (or more). 5% odds it'* something in your trans.
willwren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:44 PM   #7
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Farmington, Minnesota =MWBF '05 SURVIVOR= =CEBF '06 SURVIVOR= =August '06 COTM=
Posts: 9,130
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LakevilleSSEi is on a distinguished road
Default

Maybe you got something wet with the weather lately, and now it'* cleared out?
LakevilleSSEi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:16 PM   #8
Senior Member
Posts like a 4 Banger
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Campbellville, Ontario (Close to Toronto)
Posts: 103
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ForcedInductionPhool is on a distinguished road
Default

I had the same problem and it ended up being a plug wire that was worn to the core. The wire that it was, was the closest wire to the coil pack on the front of the motor. I noticed in the plug wire holder that is on the valve cover that wire had a really sharp bend. Where the bend was the wire wore through and was shorting out. Try checking this plug wire out before spending a bunch of money on something else.
ForcedInductionPhool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:30 AM   #9
Senior Member
Certified Car Nut
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 15,928
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BonneMeMN is on a distinguished road
Default

Ignition is fine, she'* got all of the power in all of the RPM bands, I've pretty much accepted it'* from still being in learning mode on my drive from the Twin Cities down to Mankato. The last three days after the drive she'* been just great. The ZM Throttle body mods have really made it easy to accelerate keeping the car in 3rd or 4th with a locked converter.
BonneMeMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:18 PM   #10
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lakeville, MN
Posts: 4,328
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
fantastic88 is on a distinguished road
Default

My old 93 did that. Its the reason I got rid of it. I did everything for it- O2s, plugs, wires, fuel filter, new cat, trans flush, ex, ex. I gave the thing to my dad and it started eating coil packs one after another. Then the engine went and after that got replaced it improved slightly. I think its the 4T60. It seems that most cars with this problem are 92-97 which were 4T60-Es light duties. I think its a crap torque converter but I could be wrong.
fantastic88 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hesitation on accel dn part throttle surging. 01BonneSC 2000-2005 3 08-23-2007 06:39 PM
Won't shift into OD, and torque converter w/not stay locked Bigfoot 1992-1999 17 10-15-2006 07:08 PM
KR issues at mid throttle, TC locked; New Scans 4-7 big_news_1 Performance, Brainstorming & Tuning 124 04-08-2006 01:19 PM
97 bonnaville surging with the torque convertor locked ajax 1992-1999 206 08-21-2005 12:19 PM
Throttle Body and Throttle body spacer! DeeGee96SE Performance, Brainstorming & Tuning 5 06-29-2004 01:21 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:33 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.