95 SE engine shut off ocasionally - Page 2 - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


1992-1999 Series I L27 (1992-1994 SE,SLE, SSE) & Series II L36 (1995-1999 SE, SSE, SLE) and common problems for the Series I and II L67 (all supercharged models 92-99) Including Olds 88's, Olds LSS's and Buick Lesabres Please use General Chat for non-mechanical issues, and Performance and Brainstorming for improvements.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-30-2007, 03:53 PM   #11
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ames, Iowa
Posts: 3,066
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
bill buttermore is on a distinguished road
Default Re: cleaned

Quote:
Originally Posted by syganstar117
Quote:
Originally Posted by willwren
I'd be curious to see what you find if you were to pull the insulator covers off the ends of both battery cables.

This is a very common problem, and is actually getting me on one of my cars occasionally. I need t replace both cables. There is no evidence from the outside. You have t pull them apart.
yup, i have removed both and sand them, applied dielectric spray and installed back.
Removed the cables or removed the insulating covers on the ends of the cables? Corrosion occurs underneath the rubber insulation on the ends of the battery cables. You need to peel back the covers and look underneath or actually cut the insulation to see it. It is not apparent without peeling or cutting back the insulation. It is a bummer to cut them back and find them nice and shiny underneath, but then you can just goop them up with dielectric grease and cable tie the covers back in place.

Now, when you are sure that it is NOT the cables, or the CPS, a couple of other things that will cause this problem are a worn ignition switch, and a bad PCM.
bill buttermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 05:15 PM   #12
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
banned3800 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: cleaned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill buttermore
Quote:
Originally Posted by syganstar117
Quote:
Originally Posted by willwren
I'd be curious to see what you find if you were to pull the insulator covers off the ends of both battery cables.

This is a very common problem, and is actually getting me on one of my cars occasionally. I need t replace both cables. There is no evidence from the outside. You have t pull them apart.
yup, i have removed both and sand them, applied dielectric spray and installed back.
Removed the cables or removed the insulating covers on the ends of the cables? Corrosion occurs underneath the rubber insulation on the ends of the battery cables. You need to peel back the covers and look underneath or actually cut the insulation to see it. It is not apparent without peeling or cutting back the insulation. It is a bummer to cut them back and find them nice and shiny underneath, but then you can just goop them up with dielectric grease and cable tie the covers back in place.

Now, when you are sure that it is NOT the cables, or the CPS, a couple of other things that will cause this problem are a worn ignition switch, and a bad PCM.
Yes I completely Agree

__________________
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
banned3800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 07:59 PM   #13
Junior Member
Posts like a Ricer Type-R
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: TAFT
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
syganstar117 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: cleaned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill buttermore
Quote:
Originally Posted by syganstar117
Quote:
Originally Posted by willwren
I'd be curious to see what you find if you were to pull the insulator covers off the ends of both battery cables.

This is a very common problem, and is actually getting me on one of my cars occasionally. I need t replace both cables. There is no evidence from the outside. You have t pull them apart.
yup, i have removed both and sand them, applied dielectric spray and installed back.
Removed the cables or removed the insulating covers on the ends of the cables? Corrosion occurs underneath the rubber insulation on the ends of the battery cables. You need to peel back the covers and look underneath or actually cut the insulation to see it. It is not apparent without peeling or cutting back the insulation. It is a bummer to cut them back and find them nice and shiny underneath, but then you can just goop them up with dielectric grease and cable tie the covers back in place.

Now, when you are sure that it is NOT the cables, or the CPS, a couple of other things that will cause this problem are a worn ignition switch, and a bad PCM.
thks bill, 4 advice. wats a PCM? how much they cost? where can i get it cheap?
syganstar117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:04 PM   #14
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
banned3800 is on a distinguished road
Default

A PCM is the Powertrain Control Module.... Cheapest Place to get one is the Junk Yard.. But with your Core you should be able to get one with a warranty for $80-$100 iirc

__________________
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
banned3800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 03:19 AM   #15
Junior Member
Posts like a Ricer Type-R
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: TAFT
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
syganstar117 is on a distinguished road
Default will try

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr's3800
A PCM is the Powertrain Control Module.... Cheapest Place to get one is the Junk Yard.. But with your Core you should be able to get one with a warranty for $80-$100 iirc
thks, i'll change it and c how it goes.
syganstar117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 04:10 PM   #16
Junior Member
Posts like a Ricer Type-R
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: TAFT
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
syganstar117 is on a distinguished road
Default wats dat black box?

i'm back :( still having problem, i have found da location of PCM ( aluminium box in passenger side below glove compartment ) theres 2 more black boxes, can anyone kindly tell me wats those? 1 wif connector on 1 side only and da other slightly longer box wif connectors on both side. do i have to replace them as well? thks a million!!
syganstar117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 04:15 PM   #17
Junior Member
Posts like a Ricer Type-R
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
willwren is on a distinguished road
Default

Please read this first:
http://www.bonnevilleclub.com/forum/...ic.php?t=73691

It'll help us to help you more efficiently.


The other boxes are not of any concern regarding your problem. You must move the eprom chip that is under the small cover with screws, and move it to the new PCM.
willwren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 05:18 PM   #18
Junior Member
Posts like a Ricer Type-R
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: TAFT
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
syganstar117 is on a distinguished road
Default ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by willwren
Please read this first:
http://www.bonnevilleclub.com/forum/...ic.php?t=73691

It'll help us to help you more efficiently.


The other boxes are not of any concern regarding your problem. You must move the eprom chip that is under the small cover with screws, and move it to the new PCM.
thks willwren for the infor. i have ordered pcm from autozone, will b here in 4 days.
syganstar117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 11:18 PM   #19
Senior Member
Certified GM nut
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: allentown, pa--brooklyn, ny
Posts: 1,646
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
88bonnsse is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by syganstar117
Quote:
Originally Posted by willwren
Please read this first:
http://www.bonnevilleclub.com/forum/...ic.php?t=73691

It'll help us to help you more efficiently.


The other boxes are not of any concern regarding your problem. You must move the eprom chip that is under the small cover with screws, and move it to the new PCM.
thks willwren for the infor. i have ordered pcm from autozone, will b here in 4 days.
wow autozone.? how much did they get you for..? i can get one from one of my local yards for about $29.. autozone will sell you a remanufactured one. or a new bull$h!t one...

also i had the same issue you are having and just so you know i am on my 3rd computer. i guess no one told you so ill be the first.. the 94-95 bonneville pcm'* were very tricky and most of them go bad.. im on my 3rd pcm in about a year, os far the 3rd one is holding up good...

like jrs3800 does i also like to keep a spair pcm in my trunk if i go on any long trips...

and i dont know if they also told you that when you get the new pcm you will have to open it and open your old one and pull out the lil blue thing insde your old pcm and put it in the new one...

some one will tell you exactly what its called as i cant rember at the monent. sorry..
88bonnsse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 11:33 PM   #20
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
banned3800 is on a distinguished road
Default

Yeah If I go up north to WV on a trip home the first thing that goes in the trunk is the Spare PCM complete with a correct EPROM

I am on 3 or 4.... I forget how many it is now

__________________
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
banned3800 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
i kicked my car and the engine shut off bayer Everything Electrical & Electronic 1 07-02-2009 02:51 AM
Bubbling sound after engine shut off OLBlueEyesBonne 1992-1999 8 01-08-2006 02:41 PM
Can't shut off head-lights while in gear. Phallout 1992-1999 7 03-18-2003 08:59 PM
Interior Lights won't shut off davidmprice 1992-1999 9 01-10-2003 05:43 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:34 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.