cruise control - GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat


1987-1991 Parley with regards to your 1987 to 1991 Bonneville, Olds 88 or Buick Le Sabre Please use General Chat for non-mechanical issues, and Performance and Brainstorming for improvements.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-14-2004, 09:20 AM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ollieg is on a distinguished road
Default cruise control

i have a 1991 bonneville le. when i set the cruise control, the car starts to accelerate very rapidly and will not stop accelerating until it has reach top speed. a mechanic suggested replacing the cruise control module. however, i have been unable to find the part locally. any suggestions.

one other problem is that it will occasionally misfire.
ollieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 09:39 AM   #2
Senior Member
Posts like a Camaro
 
padgett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 872
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
padgett is on a distinguished road
Default

Usually the complaint is the reverse, it does not accellerate very rapidly on resume. Our 90 Bonne will kick down almost immediately so is a Pontiac trait.

You might try just losening the cruise cable (move the clip to a hole further out on the servo arm) so that a given cruise diaphram position will not move the throttle plate as much.

BTW the last time I looked the cruise control module was nearly U$200 and the same module was used on many many GM cars of the period.

Misfire is something else and most likely related to weak secondary ignition - coilpack, wires, plugs (75% likelihood); dirty injectors (20%); or other (5%)
padgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 07:56 PM   #3
Senior Member
Posts like a Turbo
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: monona, wisconsin (right near madison)
Posts: 227
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
misfit-x is on a distinguished road
Default

yeah sometimes when i have my cruise set it starts to slow down then i tap the gas and it sprints up back to speed.
misfit-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 10:33 PM   #4
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Halifax, Canada 91SSE / 97SSEi
Posts: 5,857
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Merlin 91/97 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: cruise control

[quote="ollieg"]i have a 1991 bonneville le. when i set the cruise control, the car starts to accelerate very rapidly and will not stop accelerating until it has reach top speed. a mechanic suggested replacing the cruise control module. however, i have been unable to find the part locally. any suggestions.

one other problem is that it will occasionally misfire.[/quote

padgett is right, most times (as in my case) it'* the opposite....
Someone mentioned to me about "rebuilding the servo" but I don't know what that means.
Merlin 91/97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 11:42 PM   #5
Senior Member
True Car Nut
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Three Oaks, Michigan
Posts: 4,879
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
opensourceguy is on a distinguished road
Default

Under the hood, in between the throttle and the master cylinder. Threre is a vacum line that plugs into this device with a throttle cable, well take that out, and test it. make sure it works, hold the vacum input and try to pull out the output shaft make sure it doesn't move or is hard to move. Basically make sure it blows and sucks air when moving the output shaft. put some light oil [3n1 would work fine] down in the vacum input, and through the open area near the output shaft. Test to make sure it doesn't stick, and all is well. as long as all these things check out, that is not going to be your problem.


-justin

PS: I hope this is accurate enough, i've never done this on a Bonneville, but on my dad'* suburban'* wastegate controller was a similar operation. If you need me to take a picture of where this thing is, [my description wasn't quite all that great] i'd be happy to.
opensourceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cruise Control Question Styx 1992-1999 5 07-24-2003 12:15 AM
Jumpy Cruise Control macho_mike21 1992-1999 15 06-07-2003 02:26 AM
Adv. Cruise Control macho_mike21 Performance, Brainstorming & Tuning 22 04-23-2003 05:52 PM
Cruise control drops out TitZonAritZ 1987-1991 2 12-30-2002 07:48 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:04 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.