sorry, i've been out for a while
the reasons (in my mind) that a 26 swap is in order for my car
1. I plan on having my car for 300,000 miles. That'* the target. My current upper (manufactured in 1995, btw) has about 120k on it and no signs of degradation. However... the plastic by the TB has warped and is no longer sealing up against my throttle body. no good. so the upper is going to have to be replaced. And I don't ever want to have to do it again.
2. strength. while the current UIM on our cars is as strong as it needs to be (and then some), i'm told that the L26 UIM is nice and stiff, and helps reduce vibration in the motor. don't have much in mine right now at all, but it sounded really cool.
3. cost. there'* a lot of people out there with dying UIM'*. If we can get an adaptor made cheaply, then we can save some people money.
4. was there a 4? well, it'll never warp or degrade...
5. i'm just pulling at numbers now...
1. if you plan on doing this, you'll need:
- an adaptor
- some extra vacuum line (to extend current lines, and for the addition of another)
- a custom intake. once the new upper is on with adaptor, your stock airbox becomes just about useless.
2. i've had the plans for the adaptor made up for a while now, just waiting for it to be made up. can't complain about the wait, as a friend has arranged for it to be made up for free.
3. It'* gonna look sweet.
4. Can you imagine that thing with some polish on it?
5. again, i'm stretching things here to get a #5.
My budget is about a week from being here, and the adaptor should be ready before too much more of a wait, so hopefully i'll have some more to post before long.