Before I start, I would like to thank BadAzz87GTA for his write up on RegalGS
: DIY "Tint" headlights - RegalGS
- Painter'* masking tape (the blue "delicate" one is best, to make sure the chrome on the housing doesn't peel when you take it off)
- Can of paint. You can use whatever color or type you want. I used Dupli-Color matte black, but any outdoor paint should do. I chose the matte black to help cut down on glare.
- Sealant (I used DAP window sealant)
Opening the headlights:
- Preheat oven to 250*
- Remove all the rubber covers, vent tubes, and all bulbs from the assembly, and put them somewhere so nothing gets misplaced.
- Put the headlight on a baking sheet, and place in the oven for about 8 minutes.
I ended up using a baking sheet and a pizza pan to make sure my headlight wasn't touching the rack or sides of the oven.
- After you take the headlight out, it will be hot to the touch, so BE CAREFUL not to drop it or burn yourself.
- Separate the lens from the assembly. I used a butter knife and started from the turn signal, and worked my way around the assembly, prying it open, and separating the clips along the way. It may take a little bit of muscle, but don't be afraid to use a little force if necessary, just be careful in some areas that may be weak.
*optional* You can remove some of the old sealant from the lens if you want. I did on one lens and didn't on the other, and the one I cleaned didn't seal as well as the other when I reassembled.
- After the lens and assembly cools, mask off the reflector and prep for paint.
- Spray the assembly in light coats to prevent runs in the paint. I used 4-5 coats to get the darkness I wanted.
- Wait for the paint to dry, and unmask everything. Be careful not to accidentally remove the paint from the assembly.
- While the lens is off, it'* a good time to clean any dirt or moisture from the inside of the lens. I used some Windex and degreaser to get some of the grime off of the inside of my lens.
- For reassembly, reheat the oven to 250* again, put the assembly in for 5-8 minutes. Take the assembly out, and prepare lens for reassembly. You may need to put some silicone in areas that are lacking after you removed the lens. Press the lens back on to the assembly in the reverse order you took them apart, making sure all the clips are in place, and there are no gaps in the sealant. Put all of the bulbs and rubber pieces you removed before you started back in.
- Install headlight in car, test to make sure all lights and functions work.
- Repeat for other headlight.
- Go to fridge, get a beverage of your choice, and drink it while you admire your job well done
Here'* a before and after shot of mine: