Originally Posted by tnjohn
How to change a fan blower switch on a 96 chevy z71 pick-up
I would say that it'* more likely that your blower motor resistor has gone out on your '96 Chevy pick-up. Here'* a write-up on replacing the blower motor resistor
1. Remove the glove box by opening it and squeezing the right and leftside allowing it to drop out. Make sure that it is empty or everything will fall out on the floor board.
2. You will see at 12 oclock a small metal bracket wich holds a with connector and a black square relay. Remove the two 7mm screws holding the metal bracket.
3. Remove the relay and white connector from the bracket and set the bracket to the side.
4. Directly behind where the metal bracket was mounted you will see a electrical
connector mounted vertically into the resistor. Remove the connector.
5. Now comes the difficult part! Due to the small amount of space that you will have to work it will be necessary to disconnect some of the connectors and the relay and tuck them behind the resistor. You will need small hands to put a 1/4 drive socket with a 7mm socket and there are two hex head screws that hold the resistor board in place. One to the right of the connector and one to the left.
6. Once you are successful in removing these screws the resistor board will come loose but you will not be able to pull it out with out bending the resistors on the board.
7. To replace the resistor bend the resistors on the new board making sure that you do not break them wiggle it into place. Just before putting the screws back into the resistor board be sure to bend the resistors back so that they do not touch.
8. Proceed with the reverse of the removal.