The lamp had a vertical 3-inch crunch along the edge next to the deck lid. A 10mm deep socket removed three nuts and the whole lamp pulled away with wiring attached. Twisted out two sockets and pulled off the metal slide clip holding the harness in place on the backside, then reversed the operation using the new lamp - took about 10 minutes.
The dealer wanted $210.00 (part only) and the salvage yard $165.00 - I decided to take a chance with this TYC lamp assy from Amazon at $89.95 and was not disappointed. The fit and finish is perfect. Chrome trim excellent. The lens color was what I was worried about.. not being a true red lens color, but it'* just right. Considering the rest of the tail lenses have been exposed to ultra-violet sun damage for over 15 years, becoming faded and a bit cloudy, this one looks great. I will not hesitate to buy more TYC lamps when needed.
My first thought after installing it was, Wow! Now I'll have to replace all of them to make it look real good."
After I got it fully seated in the panel, I took some clear RTV and ran a vertical bead down the edge of the gasket where it meets the end panel - about a 3/16" gap. It'* a good seal but I'm going to run another just for the hell of it.
Here'* the page with illustrations and info if you want to have a look. The part # for the LH lamp is also shown here.