The HUD switch opening proved to be more difficult than the radio opening but I think I'm getting the hang of this. I tried to measure the original trim panel and cut the new one but I ended up being off the mark. Plus, the switch is recessed and the trim is noe flat. The best way to get it exactly right was to make a reverse mold of the original with an unmistakable reference point. The reference point is the vertical line in the trim piece. The piece was prepped with some masking tape and a lot of wax
Next, the fiberglass was glopped over the area paying attention to the vertical line and the curves of the opening. The following pic is the second attempt at the mold. the first one was nearly a disaster. The white thing in the opening of the first pic is a piece of steel that formerly was a scrap of baseboard heater. I tried to adhere it to the back of the trim with an adhesive that I could remove afterwards. I decided on some acrylic window caulk. Bad choice. It let go during the glopping process and the stuff was EVERYWHERE!. Fortunately, I used enough wax all around and the glass was able to be removed. In the end, it was duct tape to the rescue.
Once the mold hardened, it was released from the trim. I sprayed it with sheliac to seal the surface and waxed the snot out of it. This is how it looked fresh off of the original trim piece:
The new trim piece was cut oversized of the mold. This insured enough surface for the glass to bond. Once the opening was large enough, the mold was clamped in place.
Fresh out of the mold:
After some sanding:
I still need to Bondo the new orifice but tomorrow in another day. I bought a color matched paint today but will have to wait until Wed for the texture.