Well since I got no responses I went ahead a pried off the protective plastic piece. Wasn't too hard, just had to be careful not to break it.
I then used some left over wet sanding pads from a 3M head light restore kit to sand out all the large scratches on the plastic cover. Then topped it off with a layer of clear coat to minimize the appears of the fine sand marks. Then glued it back in place.
The result.... I can see my clock display again!
The clear coat my have been to glossy as it now has an extreme glare when the sun hits it directly, but nothing that cant be remedied putting up the hand to block the sun. Definitely an improvement.