GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat

GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat (https://www.gmforum.com/)
-   General GM Chat (https://www.gmforum.com/general-gm-chat-88/)
-   -   Gear ratio (https://www.gmforum.com/general-gm-chat-88/gear-ratio-212922/)

vital49 02-15-2005 11:00 AM

Gear ratio
 
How can I determine the gear ratio on a 97 Bonnie without looking at the RPO tag? I have the VIN and it is only an SE... (looking at another stable mate!!!)

BonneMeMN 02-15-2005 11:08 AM

What RPM do you shift 1-2 2-3 @ WOT at, and what RPM do you cruise at 70MPH in OD?

fantastic88 02-15-2005 11:12 AM

If you have a column shifter its possible to have a 2.84. Most bonneys have the 3.06 though. 1900 [email protected] 70mph= 2.84; 2300 [email protected] 70mph= 3.06.

vital49 02-15-2005 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonneMeMN
What RPM do you shift 1-2 2-3 @ WOT at, and what RPM do you cruise at 70MPH in OD?

Don't know. Buying it sight unseen with a bad tranny. Looking for a new tranny before I button up the deal, but I need to know which one to look for. 3:06 or 2:84 :roll:

Custom88 02-15-2005 11:18 AM

do any Bonnevilles come with the 3.29 ratio? My Aurora has that and it's the 4T65E...

BonneMeMN 02-15-2005 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Custom88
do any Bonnevilles come with the 3.29 ratio? My Aurora has that and it's the 4T65E...

Only GP GT's and your car has them, maybe some GA's and such.

Puddy46 02-15-2005 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fantastic88
If you have a column shifter its possible to have a 2.84. Most bonneys have the 3.06 though. 1900 [email protected] 70mph= 2.84; 2300 [email protected] 70mph= 3.06.

Why the difference between the column shift and the shifter on the floor?

1993 SLE 02-15-2005 01:58 PM

99% of SE's have the 3.06, in fact i done ever remenber seeing a 92-99 SE w/o that ratio

vital49 02-15-2005 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1993 SLE
99% of SE's have the 3.06, in fact i done ever remenber seeing a 92-99 SE w/o that ratio

I'm assuming it's a 3:06 also.

However, my old 93 (sold it in October) had the 2:84. And, oddly enough, it was a column shifter. :wink:

I actually prefered the 2:84. Saved on gas mileage and the engine ran at lower RPMs...perfect for my driving style (99% freeway).

Ryan 02-15-2005 04:21 PM

While we're on the subject of gear ratios, what gear ratio would my 1994 SSEi have?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:22 PM.