GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat

GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat (https://www.gmforum.com/)
-   General GM Chat (https://www.gmforum.com/general-gm-chat-88/)
-   -   Cruise control???? (https://www.gmforum.com/general-gm-chat-88/cruise-control-197577/)

fantastic88 02-13-2004 03:35 PM

Cruise control????
 
Yesterday I was going about 80 mph and when I took my foot off the gas in about a second it felt like the brakes where applied, but when I put my foot back on the gas there was a small jolt and everything was fine. Then today when going on the off ramp to stop the engine reved up a little before I stopped. I checked to see if I accedentally hit the cruise but it was off and I haven't used it for a month.

bonnie94ssei 02-13-2004 04:30 PM

This may sound stupid, but how much gas did you have in the tank when you were going 80 and you felt that jolt?

1993 SLE 02-13-2004 05:37 PM

yea mine does this also I will be driving about 70 and then I lay off the gas and if feels as if I immediately slow down. Iget on it again and I feel almost like a shudder Why does it do this??

bonnie94ssei 02-13-2004 06:14 PM

I think it's normal. When you take your foot completely off the gas going that speed I think it just downshifts, and when you hit the gas right after it's shifting out of that gear, hence the slight jolt :?

fantastic88 02-13-2004 10:51 PM

Quote:

think it's normal. When you take your foot completely off the gas going that speed I think it just downshifts, and when you hit the gas right after it's shifting out of that gear, hence the slight jolt
Well, if everyone else is experiencing this then i'm not worried. Its just that it always would maintain speed, if not actually gain a little while coasting down a slight incline. This decceleration didn't start happening until a week ago. I hope that all of my lead foot driving on the highway isn't taking its toll on the tranny. :oops:

bonnie94ssei 02-13-2004 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fantastic88
Well, if everyone else is experiencing this then i'm not worried. Its just that it always would maintain speed, if not actually gain a little while coasting down a slight incline. This decceleration didn't start happening until a week ago. I hope that all of my lead foot driving on the highway isn't taking its toll on the tranny. :oops:

Wait, are you talking about this happeneing with cruise control ON? I thought you said you didn't have cruise on. :? I think I'm misunderstanding something. :oops:

When driving without CC on, and you take your foot off the gas at 80mph, it will decellerate fast, and when you hit the gas right after you'll get a jolt probably.

But, if you have CC ON, and it loses speed, then you may have some vacuum line leaks.

fantastic88 02-13-2004 11:19 PM

The cruise control is off. I just wondered if it was turning on and off without me knowing. I say this because my old 84' Park av. had a cruise control that would just turn on and off whenever it pleased, leading to sudden acceleration and an accedent. I almost never use my CC.

bonnie94ssei 02-13-2004 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fantastic88
The cruise control is off. I just wondered if it was turning on and off without me knowing. I say this because my old 84' Park av. had a cruise control that would just turn on and off whenever it pleased, leading to sudden acceleration and an accedent. I almost never use my CC.

Ok. So you're getting deccelration with your foot on the gas, with CC off? I'm guessing you don't have anything really to worry about. Cruise that comes on by itself sounds like something from the Exorcist :o That shouldn't happen.

fantastic88 02-13-2004 11:57 PM

Now that I think about it the tranny does downshift whenever I take my foot off the gas. This is my first car with a electronicaly controled transaxle and its very different from other cars iv'e driven where you have to slam it to get a downshift. I like having power the instant I hit the gas, makes for swift merging and passing. :twisted:

bonnie94ssei 02-14-2004 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fantastic88
Now that I think about it the tranny does downshift whenever I take my foot off the gas. This is my first car with a electronicaly controled transaxle and its very different from other cars iv'e driven where you have to slam it to get a downshift. I like having power the instant I hit the gas, makes for swift merging and passing. :twisted:

Yeah, it will downshift quick when you take your foot off the gas at 70-80mph especially. I've done that before, and then hit the gas right after, and it will jolt up into gear again. I now ease off the gas, and ease back into it. You shouldn't have anything to worry about :wink:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:12 PM.