GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat

GM Forum - Buick, Cadillac, Chev, Olds, GMC & Pontiac chat (https://www.gmforum.com/)
-   1992-1999 (https://www.gmforum.com/1992-1999-91/)
-   -   Front Struts Creaking Noiise. (https://www.gmforum.com/1992-1999-91/front-struts-creaking-noiise-293956/)

Maymybonnieliveforevr 08-10-2010 10:17 PM

Front Struts Creaking Noiise.
 
When ever I turn the steering wheel whether the car is in motion or at idle the front struts make a rubber type creaking noise which I've determined are comming from the upper part of the strut. The top of the spring is rotating and making a rubbing sound against the rubber top part it rests against. In other words they don't rotate together. The front struts were replaced by the previous owner 3 years ago, (I have the bill), but there is no detail of the parts replaced. Should the upper rubber part of the strut rotate with the spring? Is so is there a bearing at the top of the strut? Can this part be replaced seperately and withing my scope of work?

xtremerevolution 08-10-2010 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maymybonnieliveforevr (Post 1471159)
When ever I turn the steering wheel whether the car is in motion or at idle the front struts make a rubber type creaking noise which I've determined are comming from the upper part of the strut. The top of the spring is rotating and making a rubbing sound against the rubber top part it rests against. In other words they don't rotate together. The front struts were replaced by the previous owner 3 years ago, (I have the bill), but there is no detail of the parts replaced. Should the upper rubber part of the strut rotate with the spring? Is so is there a bearing at the top of the strut? Can this part be replaced seperately and withing my scope of work?

There should be a bearing, and it would appear that yours is seized up. I believe the bearing should be on the bottom of the spring.

Soak it with a 50-50 mixture of ATF and acetone.

Nighthwk12 08-11-2010 12:26 AM

If the strut was only changed the strut mounts are probably original and should be changed. You can get an upper mount kit. You will need spring compressors to remove the top mount.

Maymybonnieliveforevr 08-11-2010 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtremerevolution (Post 1471163)
There should be a bearing, and it would appear that yours is seized up. I believe the bearing should be on the bottom of the spring.

At the bottom, I would have thought it was at the top?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nighthwk12 (Post 1471194)
If the strut was only changed the strut mounts are probably original and should be changed. You can get an upper mount kit. You will need spring compressors to remove the top mount.

I'll have to look into the spring compressor tool since I only have the coild spring tool that goes throught the center of the spring and will price out the bearing.

Thanks

xtremerevolution 08-11-2010 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maymybonnieliveforevr (Post 1471228)
At the bottom, I would have thought it was at the top?
I'll have to look into the spring compressor tool since I only have the coild spring tool that goes throught the center of the spring and will price out the bearing.

Thanks

I don't recall if it was at the top or bottom for the Bonnevilles.

Make sure to check out rockauto.com for pricing. There's a constantly available 5% discount code online as well that you can search google for, so factor that into your pricing.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:29 PM.