Mikes mod list:
Diamond Pistons .02 over, cam (comp cams), MSD coil packs, MSD 10.5 mm wires, ported polished heads, All ARP hardware, 3.4" pulley, Double Roller Timing Chain, comp cams 130 lb valve springs, Comp Cams Pushrods, Other Guys ceramic coated headers, High flow cat, Borla cat back, Thrasher 10.75Ē Cold Air Intake, drilled 160 thermostat, Hawk braek pads with drilled rotors, AeroForce Tech Interceptor gauge and a unlocked PCM
The heads were custom and he won't be custom again. He'* talking L32, no need to build when upgrading is easy enough. And Intense will be getting a call when it'* head time.
Things went very bad internally. We found pieces of piston in the oil pan and the front cylinders.
The one picture of the spring with the half valve lock pulled partway through the retainer leads me to think that somehow the other half of the keeper popped out (found it laying on top of the head in new condition) and the side that stayed in held the valve for a while and took a beating. The valve then dropped, broken and was beaten about the cylinder.
Like most 3800 motors..this one jumped right out. Figure we diagnosed it as a loss by 11 and were washing our hands after pulling and completely disassembling around 12::30. Mike and I were underneath unhooking things while Ryan and Tim were finishing up the topside. The whole job was made easier by the person that installed the engine as they left all the "unnecessary" bolts and nuts off the car.
I was surprised at the amount of hardware missing off various mounts etc.
The Robin was mmmmm mmmmm good as usual. So good that we had to call a nearby member and let them know what they missed out on. Missed out not having the Gummer there :( , we ended up divided up his shrimp skewers, beer and steak tips. Also unfortunate was another local with an NA Regal spent the weekend putting on his new exhaust and wasn't able to make the surprise visit.
We finished up Sunday evening by replacing the broken motor mount with a hockey puck special.