Originally Posted by jachin
Your pretty talented. where did you get the vinyl from, about how hard is it to apply and what was the cost?
The vinyl came from Hancock Fabrics store (I'm becoming a regular there). It was just under $13 per yard. I bought one yard of each color for the door panels and would have had just enough to do all four doors but I cut the last piece backwards. This meant I had to but another yard of tan. Then I needed two spools of thread (one green, the other tan). These were a couple of bucks each. Last but not least, 3M super 90 spray adhesive ($17).
The vinyl was cut into 4 strips after measuring the diameter of the wheel and figuring out how much green I wanted. I subtracted about an inch from this measurement so the vinyl would stretch. Once the strips were sewed together, it was stretched over the wheel and the spray adhesive was applied. The stitching involved quite a bit of manual dexterity. It involves using two needles going back and forth just like you would lace up your shoes. The wheel is not easy hold so a buddy to help comes in very handy.
The green parts were much easier to stitch as the 3 1/4" width is just right. The tan however was a nightmare. I had to trim to size around all of the obsticles with a very shitty pair of scissors. I did make a couple of trimming errors but you would have to give it a good look to find them.
Degree of difficulty = 8 out of 10