As a few of you know, my battery tray has had a serious cancer problem ever since a leaking battery years ago. General malaise and laziness have physically prevented me from taking care of this issue until now....
As a result, some of the pictures are graphic in nature and should not be viewed by those with weak stomachs for rust and it'* resulting car-nage.
Additionally, my coolant tank has a large crack in it, so it too needed a tankonectomy and a transplant.
I considered buying a new replacement battery tray, but the $45 +tax at the dealership and alternate $33 + 2-3 weeks from GMPD, drove me to do a temporary fix for now with an eye out for a replacement tray from the JY one of these days.
So with that in mind, this is what I started with:
Note cracked coolant tank and general dirt from an unclean engine bay.
Close-up of the battery and tray as I started:
A bit of corrosion there, huh?
So, I needed the right tools and supplies for the job:
Ospho converts Iron Oxide to Iron Phosphate and allows for primer or other coatings to bond better. The undercoating is for after the primer and the white paint is for looks.
Important part of the tools for a good job:
This isn't good!
It took over a gallon of baking soda and water to nuetralize all the corrosion. Then a fresh water flush and dry before starting the de-rusting process.
Mid-way through the de-rusting process. When I got done, there were a few more drain holes in the tray than OEM spec. :P It would have gone much quicker if I had a needle scaler, but I didn't....
Coolant tank crack:
Finished...complete with dielectric grease on all connections and exposed metal surfaces.
I would have had more in-process pics, but Liz rushed me to finish it before we headed to a friend'* house for a Labor Day weekend get-together.
Mike: 1997 SE w/ 183K, aka White Horse
, Gutted Airbox w/K&N, drilled 180* t-stat, tint all around, clear corners w/SilverStars, "PONTIAC" light up tail, PEMs, NGK TR55s