Originally Posted by GunsOfNavarone
Not a typical GM Forum pic. A 1999
Ball joints consistently failing
(likely happens because ball joints are not lubed- quickie lubs miss these and the 9 other lube points- most dealers miss these also)
Can you post a list of all the lube points? I lube all the ball joints with the zerk grease fittings, but don't know of other ball joints other than the ones on the front wheels and steering linkages, a total of 10 by my count.
I have about 86K on my 1998 Bravada (purchased new in September 1998 ) which is stock except for urethane bushings on the anti-sway bar and a transmission fluid cooler. Other than routine maintenance items like hoses, belt, and so forth, I've replaced these parts:
(1) transfer case control module @ 60K (October 2003)
(2) alternator @ 67K (July 2005)
(3) water pump @ 68K (December 2005)
(4) AC compressor/accumulator @ 72K (April 2007) --I also replaced the orifice tube with a valve which provides better cooling at idle, especially in very hot weather
(5) rear shocks @ 70K (December 2008 ) --I replaced rears with Bilsteins; the oem decarbon shocks in front were still good.
One of the tie rod ends also died and several of the ball joints have excessive play. I got the replacement Moog parts, but haven't installed them yet. Some of them look like they'll be a bear to install. Any hints about replacing the ball joints would be appreciated.
Everything is still working well. The only problem is a little play (sort or a dead spot) in the steering wheel. I suspect this is due to worn joints in the tie rods and hope replacing those will fix it.
I've been using Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil, ATF, gear/axle oil, and (red) grease.