I finally got the motor home. After placing the T ram on the actual motor I found that the head flanges had been cut sometime in its history. One side some but flat, the other a lot and crocked. I've been busy trying to get the manifold to fit well enough to work as it is by making aplate spacer and using the gaskets to get the right manifold height. The manifold flanges were cut not only to much making the manifold set too low in the valley between the heads, but one side was even cut on an angle, probably why no one ever ran it. Lucky me, I was next in line. When I cut the spacer off of the thick flange I used a piece of angle iron clamped to the little my saw plate on my band saw. I set it up on an angle in relation to the blade and I was able to get the spacer cut on an angle, thicker on one side than the other. Just like making a wood shim. The flange that was cut straight is the passenger side, and that side gets two gaskets and that is all. The angle cut side got two gaskets and the spacer. Luckily, the ports on the manifold were still a little undersized compared to my larger head ports so by getting the manifold all lined up with everything, I was able to finish port the manifold port outlets and it is almost a perfect fit. I just glued the single set of gaskets to the head aligned wth the head ports, and I glued the second set of gaskets to the manifold. This will allow me to drop the manifold down into place with the good side bolted down just about finger tight and aligned. The spacer will be laying on the other head over the ports and with the manifold aligned on the good side, I can position the spacer on the bad side looking thru the manifold down the ports and bolt it all together.
Gaskets and spacer in place.
Looking down the good side ports all aligned.
This is looking down the bad side ports with the spacer just peaking out (the shiny edges you can see). By moving the spacer around then bolting it all down I should be able to get everything almost perfect in the bad ports as well. There will be a little bit of rough transition as the air/fuel passes the gaskets and spacer but there won't be any blunt edges to hit on.
This how I set up the saw. Angle iron back fence set at an angle. After I made that starting cut that you see in the pic, and after the pic was taken, I added another angle piece in front of the flange to hold it tight at the saw blade so it could not wander. Believe it or not, it all worked---damnnnnn, HA!
More pics coming of the motor.