Audio (and aftermarket electronics) This is your place for alarms, remote starters, to brag about your system, exaggerate your db levels, or simply ask questions for stock or aftermarket audio. No Flames! (except from roasted amps)

Aftermarket Head Unit & Monsoon

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
28offroader is on a distinguished road
Default Aftermarket Head Unit & Monsoon

Hey guys, first time posting here and I'm looking to get a little help with an aftermarket head unit install. I've been researching for a couple of days now but can't seem to find all the info I need.
I'm looking to buy a Pioneer AVH-P3200BT and installing it into a 2004 Pontiac Bonneville GXP. The GXP has the Monsoon stereo, On-Star, XM Radio,steering wheel controls and CD changer in the trunk.
I would like to be able to retain all of these features if possible?
What I have found so far is that I need the GMOS-09 for the radio and a PAC SWI-PS for the steering wheel control.
I can't see where the GMOS-09 says anything on XM radio or a cd changer, just rca'* for an oem navigation (which I don't have). Does the GMOS-09 retain XM and the cd changer or do I need another harness? If they make them which one do I need?
Any and all help greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:54 PM
True Car Nut

raptor660 is on a distinguished road

I did a little research for ya bud.... I looked at one of my favorite sites (Sonicelectronix) and found something like this would be more to your likes. However it doesnt say it works for Bonnevilles. None of em do tho... ill keep look for ya. If you got the time, you should post an introduction of yourself in the new members section. We got quite a few GXP'* here at GMForum.com and the owners are very knowledgable! and quite a few of those have aftermarket head units. And i believe they have retained On*, Bose, and chimes.

Just hangout in the Lounge for a bit while we lick this problem for you.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-OS-3BOSE.html
Old 01-02-2011, 07:35 PM
True Car Nut

SAMzGXP is on a distinguished road

i have monsoon and aftermarket HU, i'll update you when im home from work
Old 01-02-2011, 08:31 PM

Thanks guys
Old 01-03-2011, 03:10 AM
True Car Nut

SAMzGXP is on a distinguished road

alright
heres how it goes, talking from experience, not common sense.
took me over a month and a half to put my system together, no one on this forum or the other forums had installed an aftermarket HU on a GXP with monsoon back then (i think, i havent seen anyone but me so far, could be wrong) but it was well worth it at the end, even if you're still running the stock speakers

Someone asked me this on another forum, so ill just quote what i said to him

Originally Posted by SAMzGXP
to install a single or double din on a Bonneville GXP with Monsoon and retain Onstar & Chimes you will need the following:

1- A headunit ofcourse (I bought the JVC KW-NT1 which is loaded with BUILT IN Navi, Bluetooth, DVD/CD/MP3, Front USB, Front and Rear Aux, and SD card reader)
2A- A Harness, the 2 im aware of are PAC C2R-GM32R & Metra GMOS-09 (i bought both and tried both, Metra GMOS-09 for the win. PAC felt cheap, bad sound quality, and the chimes come out of the harness instead of coming out of the speakers like factory)
2B- You will need to cut one of the wires on the GMOS-09 Harness or PAC C2R-GM32R (they were mode for Bose systems, So cutting that wire will fix the problem More info one which wire here
3- Antenna adapter to fit into the after market, you will need a volkswagen VW-10 antenna adapter.
4- Dash fitting kit (depending if you want single din or double din, i have double din)
5- You will need to drim the dash behind the original headunit, nothin too crazy, very easy to do using a dremel or a drill Before and After
6- You will need a PAC harness (Optional, depends on which HU you buy) to retain factory steering wheel controls.

if you need more info, i have it all, let me know what you need
Someone correct me if im wrong on something or if i missed a step

As to answer your questions:

1- The CD changer will NOT work, it'* gonna be near a miracle to find a harness/HU that will support the changer (not trying to be an ***, but why the hell do you care about the changer if you're installing an aftermarket HU? one MP3 cd can fit more than the 12 disks that the changer takes, just FYI)

2- I dont have XM in my car (as far as i know, i never checked), but agian, same problem, most companies make their own XM modules to work with their HU, so good luck getting that to work
Old 01-03-2011, 04:57 AM

Way cool, thanks for the info.
For the XM Radio I guess I can just buy the Pionner unit. I read somewhere that the factory antenna should fit into the Pionner GEX-P920XM (if not, no biggie routing the new antenna). I would'nt think it would be a problem to transfer service between the 2.

For the CD Changer it is'nt really that big of deal. The car is actually my mothers and she uses the CD Changer as of now. If there was an easy way of keeping it that would've been great. But since there is'nt she'll have to sacrifice it for the BT feature she wants. I doubt she'd even use it after the Pioneer is installed but always nice to have as many options as you can.

Originally she was given the MKI9200 BlueTooth kit for a christmas gift. After researching for a wire harness for that (which I've yet to find one), the only way I found to install it and work the way we wanted it to was tapping into the existing harness with relays and such..http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...ar-stereo.html
That would be fine for me but she does'nt want to have to 'hack' into the existing harness. (making my life difficult, lol)
So now I'm in search for the best way to install an aftermarket head unit with BT build in.

Again, thanks for all of your help.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:56 AM
True Car Nut

Received 579 Likes on 497 Posts
jwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond reputejwfirebird has a reputation beyond repute

for the xm i would like to suggest you get a portable. I have the delphi skifi 2, with kits in the house in my monte carlo, boombox for the garage or camping. it has an integrated FM modulator so i can take it out of the car at work and throw it in my work truck. its nice to be able to take it with you. ive got a permanent mount in the sse and all the wife can do is listen in there.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by jwfirebird
for the xm i would like to suggest you get a portable. I have the delphi skifi 2, with kits in the house in my monte carlo, boombox for the garage or camping. it has an integrated FM modulator so i can take it out of the car at work and throw it in my work truck. its nice to be able to take it with you. ive got a permanent mount in the sse and all the wife can do is listen in there.
Those are great. My dad has one that they use when they're out and I have the Sirius compatable unit. For the Bonneville she wanted it all integrated as much as possible though.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:12 AM

hinzim05 is on a distinguished road

Hey samzgxp, I am just now finding this blog, we just purchased an 05 GXP and I have a question about your directions. The link on what wire to cut does not come up. as well as the #6 for the steering wheel control, you say you will need a PAC harness, are you saying that you need both the PAC and the GMOS09 or the PAC is the only one that allows the steering wheel controls. Thanks
Old 02-23-2015, 02:30 PM

True Car Nut

Received 585 Likes on 514 Posts
Soft Ride has much to be proud ofSoft Ride has much to be proud ofSoft Ride has much to be proud ofSoft Ride has much to be proud ofSoft Ride has much to be proud ofSoft Ride has much to be proud ofSoft Ride has much to be proud ofSoft Ride has much to be proud ofSoft Ride has much to be proud ofSoft Ride has much to be proud of

hinzim05 Welcome to the forum.
As this is a 4 year old thread, I doubt Samzgxp will see this new post.
For best results: Please create a "New Thread" in Audio (and aftermarket electronics) section and ask your questions please.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Head Unit & Monsoon