I decided to finally do my pillar pod for my Aeroforce Scan gauge today. Hopefully these pics will inspire others to build their own. : )
1. Purchased a universal single pillar from Pepboys. APC Universal Single Pillar Part No: 10-7062.
2. I had to cut most of the pillar pod'* edges off. I did a little at a time, tweaking, sanding and test fitting. I left a 1/4" lip all the way around so I could epoxy the pod to the A-pillar. I used a heat gun to mold the pod lips to the stock a-pillar. The face of the pod had to be cut to fit the radius of the a-pillar.
3. I sanded the a-pillar and 1/4 lip of the pod with 80 grit sand paper using my electric sander. This provides a "tooth" for the epoxy to adhere to. I cleaned the pod and pilar with laquer thinner. Mixed up a small batch of 4-minute JB Weld, slathered it on with a popsicle stick on the bottom portion of the pod, lined it up on the pillar and clamped it so it could dry.
4. One the bottom lip cured (I gave it 30 minutes). I took the heat gun and molded the top and rear lip to the pillar.
5. I mixed up another small batch of JB Weld and slathered it on the rear and top lips. I added clamps to promote a good bond. Wearing a rubber glove, I took some JB Weld and smoothed it into the joint between the pod face and the pillar.
6. Once it cured, I gave it an hour, I mixed up another batch of JB Weld. This batch is to fill the area between the lip of the pod and the a-pillar. I slathered on generous amounts to back fill the pillar to the edge of the pod lip. I did this all the way around. I wasn't too concerned with getting it smooth. I planned on coming back with my electric sander and 80 grit paper.
7. I went to dinner with the family, so the JB Weld had 3 hours to cure. I hit the filler with 80 grit paper to knock down the edges and level it with the pod.
8. I mixed another batch of JB Weld and applied amother thin coat over the area I just sanded. I let that cure and hit it again with 80 grit and my sander. That'* all I got done today. Almost done.
7. Started again this morning. Using a razor blade and popsicle sticks, added some UV-cured glaze and spot putty to fill in the holes and uneven surfaces. Let i cure in the sun for 10 minutes. This was the first time using this stuff and it works great
8. Once the puddy dried, I hit it with 80 grit sandpaper. Once all the rough edges were knocked down, I followed up with hand sanding with 200 grit sanding sponge to feather the edges and smooth it all out.
9. I installed it in the car to test fit. All I need to do now is get a hold of the textured paint and complete the projecf. I'll post up the rest when it'* done.
10. Well I decided to do the vinyl wrap instead of the textured paint. I had a local auto upholstery shop do the wrap. They charged my $80 to do both sides...but I'm happy with it. Here'* pics of the vinyl and it'* texture. Kinda close to stock:
11. Here'* the finished product. I think it turned out pretty good. The seams around the pod are not perfect...but still look good. I'll let you be the judge. (The last pick is looking down through the windeshield.