INTENSE recently became an official distributor for Squires Turbo Systems
, commonly referred to as STS. This company pioneered the remote-mounted turbo and holds the patent
for it. Just like INTENSE they are a true innovator and the quality of their kits is top-notch. We are proud to be able to offer you this kit in conjunction with them. INTENSE worked long and hard to come up with the proper pipes, pipe routing, dimensions, and under hood work to make this the easiest, cleanest and best performing bolt on turbo kit available for the 3800 community. While the current solution is only ready for N/A :L36/L26 w-bodies other applications will quickly follow.
Our prototype entry level kit increased a stock 2002 Grand Prix GT from 166 to 268 WHP, for a net gain of 102 WHP or 127 crankshaft horsepower. This was done with a base setting of 9 pounds of boost. In round numbers, each pound of turbocharged boost added to the stock L36 engine produced a gain of 11 WHP, or 14 crankshaft horsepower. Higher octane fuel, an intercooler, and better flowing heads and cam will all allow the boost to be turned up, which will in turn produce significantly more power.
Unlike other turbo kits currently available for the 3800, our kit shows strong ramp up, and sustained power through the entire powerband. Our dyno charts show it does not peak and fall off but rather hits peak power and stays there through the entire gear. Dyno charts from other kits on the market show a high peak at 296 WHP and then a rapid fall off. Their charts show a drop of almost 20 whp in only 350 rpm and a continuing loss of power through their entire pull. By contrast, our kits aren’t designed to make the most peak horsepower. Instead they are designed to make the broadest possible powerband. Take a look at our dyno chart and you’ll notice that the powerband is as flat as the state of Kansas. Once the turbo is fully spooled, there is less than a 10 horsepower drop all the way to redline! And for the record, our dyno pulls were done using 93 octane pump gas and with an ambient temperature of 93 degrees.
A remote mounted turbo runs cooler, with no additional lag and requires no major modifications to your vehicle. Installation is easier than with other kits, and the final product makes such a CLEAN underhood and undercar presentation.
The installation is incredibly neat and clean.
Air filter comes with waterproof ‘sock’. Also note oil pump that returns oil to crankcase. A buzzer in the passenger compartment sounds if the pump fails for any reason
No ground clearance is lost! Note: production kits will be mandrel bent stainless steel without all these welds.
Don’t be intimidated. It’* just a tailpipe!
Other benefits of this design include:
- Ease of installation. STS turbo systems can be installed in about eight hours with standard tools and average mechanical ability.
- Performance Sound. The turbo acts as a muffler and sounds like an aftermarket performance muffler and the turbo spool itself is an instant head turner.
- No need for major modifications to your vehicle. STS systems are designed to "bolt-on".
- Increased gas mileage. Unlike a belt driven supercharger, the turbo utilizes "wasted" energy leaving your tailpipe. Most of our customers get 1-3 mpg increase in gas mileage.
- Lower underhood temperatures. No need to worry about melting wires, hoses, or other components.
- More room under the hood. Future repair work or modifications will not require the expense of removing the turbo system to allow access to engine components.
- Cooler oil to the turbo. Cool oil is better for both the turbo and engine.
- Approximately 500° F lower turbo temperatures. Eliminates the need for a turbo-timer, which allows the engine to run after the car is shut off in order to cool down the turbo and prevent oil and bearing damage.
- Denser exhaust gasses drive the turbo turbine wheel more efficiently.
- Built-in intercooling. Intake piping provides ~50% intercooler efficiency. There is no need for the expense, pressure drop, and installation problems associated with a front mounted intercooler.
- Turbo is exposed to ambient air rather than underhood air. Allows for better cooling of turbo components.
- No need for expensive headers, mufflers, or exhaust systems.
- Turbo is closer to the tail pipe outlet. Provides a better pressure differential across the turbine wheel which promotes better flow across turbine.
- Less noise in the passenger compartment.
Our optional boost controller mounts in the trunk for easy access.
To learn more about these kits, and get any questions you may have answered, check out the very well-written FAQ page
Right now we’re focusing our efforts on finding the most cost effective ways to get these kits mass-produced. Most likely, we’ll be offering two different kits initially:
- INTENSE Standard Turbo Kit for L36/L26-powered cars – this kit will be absolutely first class – 100% complete and ready to install. Our standard turbo will be the GT35 55 mm. T04E. Our kits are quite sophisticated, many more components are involved and the overall performance is superior. For these reasons, they will be more expensive than the others currently available in the 3800 FWD market today. We haven’t finalized the kit price yet, but as an introductory special, for the first ten customers to purchase a kit we will provide installation labor, dyno-tune the car and include a completely custom-tuned PCM for only $399!
- Do it Yourself Universal Kit – this kit will include everything except the piping, hoses and clamps. This is for the customer who can do his own fabricating and tuning, or wants to work with someone local to build a kit for an application that we don’t yet have covered.
And more kits and options (L67/L32 kits, intercoolers for higher boost levels, larger turbos, etc.) will be coming next…
Estimated lead-time is still up in the air, but our best guess is that we can start accepting pre-orders by August, and shipping by September.