On the quest to make the best LED turn signal mirror possible, I didn't like the way peeling back the heater element always took up the black glue etc on the mirror and would let light bleed through. I decided I needed to cut a circle w/o taking up the heating element. Bought a set of leather punches,(thanks Dan) they are hollow circles and semi sharp. Trying to cut a piece of paper with them, I failed and didn't know how I could cut through the heater. Then a thought struck, when in doubt use heat! Pulled out the mapp gas torch and heated the punch of choice. Touching it to the element it burned a perfect circle.
I readied the template, positioned it carefully and steadied my hand for the work.
Taped the LED pod to the glass for placement checking.
Notice this heating element is like the 2000 Bonnevilles and not the other Regal/Century elements I had gotten thus far.
These holes came out perfect.
Glued the pod to the mirror after I cut the backing to fit nicely and help hold the pod.
Once this cures, the backing will go onto it and I'll have one side ready. Now to find a driver side glass with the good heating element. I lost a few lines of heating in the process, overall though the majority of the mirror will still heat w/o issues.
I did a few other things as well, they didn't amount to a lot picturewise though. Saturday at the yard I picked up a control arm bolt I was missing and the sway bar center bushing hold downs.
Tapped the sway holes and applied anti-seize to the bolts to keep corrosion down and from needing PB if they were to be removed. Anti-seized all the bolts for the control arms so they will hopefully provide years of flex before adhering to the bushings. Tigtened it all down.
Brandon (local buddy that had a Monte) stopped by in his new $100 Park Ave Ultra. We chatted stuff and he mentioned a sandblaster at work. I'll be tossing some of the stuff to him so it'll be clean and beautiful when I put paint on it. Should be a "nice to have".
Then I rearranged the stuff I've been collecting to get it all in one location for the most part.
Heck..here'* pics anyhow.
The white near the center bushing is teflon tape that I tossed on before the bushing grease. GM had a bulletin back in the early 90'* that if a sway had stuck to the bushing that they remove the bushing, teflon the bar and put it back together. If that worked for them, that plus the bushing grease will work for me.