When I arrived home on Tuesday from a business trip to Alabama this was waiting for me.
Started the install on Saturday morning by drilling the thermostat.
I as also able to install the sparkplugs on Saturday morning. I have to tell you the plugs were a PITA to install. Removing the spark plug wires was the pits. My left forearm is still tender from removing the rear plugs.
We had family activities for the rest of the day on Saturday so I had to wait till after church on Sunday to complete the install.
Started with installing the fenderwell intake. The filter is huge but it does fit. Removing the fender liner was a snap.
Hardest part of this portion of the install is putting the metal sleeve inside of the fenderwell tubing.
Next was mounting the PCM to the inside of the fender. I marked off the bracket and used an L bracket that I had lying around to mount on the horizontal surface.
Here is the hole I drilled on the horizontal surface.
Next is the hole on the vertical surface.
Here is a pic with the FWI connected and the PCM mounted.
Here is the finished install.
Things to watch out for when installing the upgrade:
1. Place large pan under engine to catch coolant when replacing the thermostat.
2. if you have not replaced your plugs before the spark plug wires are really hard to remove. Plan on taking longer than expected.
3. The one clamp on the rubber piece that hold the IAT sensor is hard to tighten. I had to use channel lock pliers to bring the bolt past the clamp edge so I could install the lock nut.
4. I tried to do a security case learn but it turns out if the car starts up you are good to go for this task.
5. You will still need to do a CASE learn and mine will happen tomorrow morning.
Overall this is an easy upgrade to install and a big bang for the buck. The car has a lot more get up and go than before. The transmission shifts are stronger and the low end torque brings the car to life. The exhaust has always sounded nice but now I can really hear the intake as well. If you were thinking about starting to mod your car this package provides a solid base when you want to go to the next level.
I will report back tomorrow after the CASE learn. I did talk to Todd today about the Security learn and the CASE learn.
Thanks to all who helped me understand what I need to do.
A big two thumbs up to Intense for this mod.