First off ,heres the old gutted air box. Took a Dremel to the insides and the enlarged the outside hole on the front(square cutout)
Where the airbox used to be
I was going to take the MAF screen out, but on my past GM cars, never really noticed any difference except for the idle changing. Also after noticing some small leave bits in the screen, decided not to remove it.
The IAT hole in the filter ( K&N RX-4750) is too small for the IAT to fit in . I used an Xacto knife to make the hole big enough for the IAT, which is a tight fit now. I didn't use the Dremel because it would have made too much of a mess, I didn't want to risk any rubber bits going into the engine.
Everything went together with ease. Took about 30-40 minutes start to finish. I had to cut off about 4 1/2 " off the end of the pipe for it to fit. It now makes alot more noise(in a good, howling way) then the gutted airbox. The t-stat replacement was a sinch, just two 10mm bolts to remove and the old gasket.
Now I just need to relocate the PCM & make a plexiglass enclosure.
Cost (price includes shipping)-
rice pipe - $25 (Ebay)
K&N RX-4750 - $55 (AJUSA)
IAT extension - $20 (ZZP) I didn't feel like hacking up the IAT wires
4"-3" reducer - $18 (Ebay)
180 stat & gasket - $12 (Pep Boys)
Total - $130
Rant - Parts stores nowadays are good for nothing . I went to ask for a 180 stat and they only list a 195 . If its not in their computer, good luck finding it. Luckily for me , the 180 (Stant #5984
part number was one number less the 195 part (#59849) .