Ya, I'm a 2nd gen firebird lover too. I bought my 79 brand new and have been upgrading it ever since.
I've made a custom ram air system for it. Still smells new on the inside.
1979 Firebird Formula 6.6 L (403) – Hurst / Olds
• Rare original colour combination of Metallic Marine Blue exterior and Tan Interior - Power Windows - Air Conditioning delete
• Original owner – Factory special ordered at Bob Scott Motors, Powell River B.C. (March 1979)
• Speedometer conversion from 140 kph to 140 mph gauge – approx. 80,000 mi
• 350 Turbo Hydramatic Trans, shift kit, chrome pan Hurst Dual Gate shifter
• High capacity 3 core Radiator with HD Clutch Cooling 19” Fan
• Conversion to factory WS6 suspension.
o 15 x 8 snowflake aluminum Factory Wheels with Pirelli V-rated tires 255/ 60 R 15
o Polyurethane bushings in sub-frame, front control arms, sway bars and rear leaf springs
o Sub-frame braces
o HD 330 lb Front Springs lowered 1” front
o HD 180 lb Rear leaf springs lowered ¾” with improved anti-squat
o 1 ¼” Front Sway bar and ¾” Rear Sway bar
o Quick ratio steering gear
• Rear Differential 10 bolt 8 ½”
o HD Strange Axles with 3.08 ratio gear-set
o C-clip eliminator kit
o High tensile bearing studs and Gigliotti rear aluminum cover with bearing stud support girdle -Original 2.41 (160 mph) gear-set in storage
o Competition Engineering traction bars with J-bolts
• Engine modifications – 340 hp @ 4900 rpm 400 ft-lbs @ 3200 rpm
o 5700 rpm redline
o Edelbrock Performer – Camshaft & aluminum intake manifold, Cloyes dual roller timing chain and cam gears (straight up), dual valve springs and Cr-Mo pushrods
o 1 5/8” Hooker headers, H-pipe with original mufflers and tailpipes
o Chromed 6 qt high capacity Tornado Engine pan and Edelbrock valve covers
o Original rebuilt 750 CFM 4-barrel Rochester Carburetor with electric choke – HO racing
o Distributor advance kit conversion and vacuum advance diaphragm – HO racing
o Accel Super Coil, MSD 6AL ignition system (5600 rpm rev limiter) and 8 mm low impedance wires
o Blocked heat crossover and carb heat shield
• Front brakes conversion to Stainless Steel Brakes slotted rotors with Carbon Metallic pads. Rebuilt master cylinder and power booster. Drilled rear drums.
• 300 watt dual amplified Kenwood CD player
• Chromed Hood Hinges and Alternator
• Aluminum hood vents and fender braces
• Battery relocated to trunk
• Custom Ram Air Intake with dual under fender scoops and sealed K&N 14” x 4” filter (+20 hp)
• Alpine alarm system with ignition kill and perimeter alert
• HELLA 80/100 Watt Quad Quartz Iodine Lights
• Bilstein Gas Shocks front and rear. Performance alignment with negative camber.
• Re-painted for the first time in 2001 with original color and clear-coat finish
0-60 mph – 5.4 sec 1/8 mile – 9.0 sec (street tires) ¼ mile – 13.8 @ 104 mph
I'm turning this new "old" Trans Am into its clone.