Originally Posted by chronoti
hello new to the site i have searched and tried everything i know to fix this thing so i come for help
right now i'm working on my gf grandfathers 99 silhouette and it got a few things that baffle me.
back story this guy drives this thing like an impreza in a rally race, due to the fact he lives off a poorly maintained dirt road, and he doesn't know how to ease off the gas.
so i guess about 2 months ago he said he "blew the back shocks, springs and broke the rear sway" he junk yarded up a set of springs and rear sway and non-air kit rear shocks (it was an air-shock system in it)
so now to the problems
1. front fog lights: the mounts are starting to rust rather bad and he wants new ones is there any aftermarket option i cant find any online or is dealer the only way for the new housing
2. Blower fan speed issues: the fan only works on the 2,3,4 settings, i looked at all the fuses that are the and they are fine so i guess the fuse to the high speed relay is ok, where is the high speed relay and blower resistor, also is there a way to test the resistor? i know on some cars there should be continuity on certain pins for what ever speed so you can check to see if the resistor is good or the switch
3. intermediate air bag light: some times when he starts the car the air bag light will be on. no idea.
4. ABS light: is there anyway to get why the light is on other than taking it to a shop with a abs reader? i have a basic OBDII code reader and a one that interfaces through my laptop.
5. Key fob: i ordered a new key fob for it as i'm sure the one he had when i opened it look like it was sitting in a can of coke for a while. what is the exact procedure for programming a new fob, i tried the pull the fuse method i found but i didnt get the chimes when i open the door but i did get the chimes when i turned the key backwards. also the putting the key in the ignition and pulling it out/ turning it what ever did nothing, also holding the unlock button did nothing as well but that brings me in to the next issue
6. unlock switches dont work: both unlock switches dont work
7. Back bank spark plugs: how do you change them?
thanks for any help!
Welcome to the site! You wont find a friendlier atmosphere anywhere (trust me, I've looked
) I'll do my best to answer some of your questions.
1. You can use aftermarket fog lights. They come with universal mounts, however I do not recommend them. They are made of cheap plastic that breaks easily. Junkyard or dealer is your best bet.
2. It sounds to me like the switch is just broken. Again, junkyard or dealer and just replace the whole hvac switch unit.
3. I'm not sure where the airbag control module is on your van, but it may just have a loose connector. I don't recommend messing with this though. You don't want an accidental deployment. Take it to the dealer.
4. Wheel speed sensor is most likely. A good scan tool will tell you which one.
5. fix six before you can fix 5
6. If one of the door lock switches go bad/is unplugged, neither will work. Hit up a junkyard and grab new switches for the driver and pass side.
7. I find the easiest way to get to the rear plugs on a 3400 is to undo the top two dogbone mounts and roll the engine forward. Two ways to do that, use a ratchet strap and pull it forward, or put the van in park and have a couple of guys push on the back of the van with all their might. When the van wont roll forward anymore... set the parking brake. Also, remove the engine cover to give you a better shot at getting back there. I recommend wearing long sleeves to keep your arms from getting all tore up when you're cramming them back there. If you still don't have enough room, you can remove the alternator and the bracket for it.