Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit
DTC P0340 will set if Camshaft Position (CMP) sensor pulses
are not in proper ratio to 18X and 3X pulses.
- Hard starting/no start
- Rough running or misfiring
- Loss of engine power, sluggishness.
- Damaged wire or connector in the circuit.
- Failed camshaft position sensor.
- Failed crankshaft position sensor.
These codes are a bit more tricky to track down.
- Inspect all the wiring and connectors in the circuit
- Use a multimeter to check for continuity in the circuit wiring
- Check for 5 volts at sensor
- Remove CMP sensor, leaving harness connector connected.
Place a magnet on sensor. If voltage is now about zero volts sensor is good
- Check for incorrect harness routing near secondary
ignition components, ignition coil arcing to wiring harness or ICM.
Check ignition coils for cracks, carbon tracking or other signs of
- Replace circuit wiring and/or connectors as required
- Replace CMP sensor.