So who here thinks they have a bad ISP? I used to think mine was pretty good but that idea is quickly starting to go away FAST! My internet service provider is DirecPC. (owned by DirecTV.) There have been a series of problems which have been annoying amongst other colorful words I'll leave out:
1. IP address changes every few hours. Makes remote desktop nearly impossible unless you use a 3rd party program
2. This is satellite internet. There is a very bad lag between the time you click the mouse and the time that stuff starts to load. The lag is 1-2 seconds. Doesn't sound bad? Imagine a 1-2 second lag for each different file to load. This means that if you're loading say a page that is maybe 100K it'd load fast if it were just text. Now add several images into the mix, even some as low as 1KB and each one takes atleast a second to load because of the lag. This now means a tiny, 100KB page could take up to 20 seconds to load. (dialup could do a faster job at loading pages.)
3. Download is 'claimed' to be 500KBPS. Downloads for me average at around 90 kbps on a very good day, or around 25 kbps average. Times that by 8, and that is still not the 500 they claim.
4. Direcway has a fair access policy. This means if you download anything more than 170MB in a time period of around 4 hours you're under restrictions. I have observed a 80% decrease in speed when this kicks in and it lasts for HOURS! Downloads are only around 2kbps (slower than any internet service.. including ANY dialup!) At times dialup will totally blow my 'broadband' internet away.
5. Modem needs to be reset atleast once or twice a day. no exceptions. This is apparently common as I've been reading reviews lately. you can always tell the modem needs a reset when hotlinked images never load, and every webpage takes over 5 minutes to load. (no exageration.)
I don't usually try to give a company a bad reputation but this is rediculous! I live in the middle of nowhere so this was my only option so it really sucks. Makes you feel trapped. on www.epinions.com
the direcway internet service only has a 1/5 customer satisfaction rating. Several others have this problem to the point that there is a class action law suit against this company for false advertising. They claimed "blazing" fast speeds faster than most other ISP'*. This is just plain FALSE! just want to warn others incase they have considered satellite internet.
You can have all this mentioned within this post for the 'low, low" price of ONLY $60 a month after a $700 equipment charge. (non refundable).