The official "is Pontiac gone forever" rumor thread!
Well, today, after helping the girlfriend car search for either a '04+ grand prix or a '00+ Bonneville, I was thinking about how sad I was that Pontiac is gone. I mean, i drive an oldsmobile alero, but i don't think of oldsmobile being anything that buick and chevrolet couldn't be. Then, comes Pontiac. I mean, they were the definition of exciting cars. Sure, they may have had rebadged models and used the same drivetrains from other GM cars but it was the total package deal that made it appealing - the combo of the best engines, sharp designs, cutting edge features - made me attracted to the brand. dh2
Now, for the conspiracy. After consulting my friend, google.com, I heard about many rumors about the future of pontiac and the way GM has acted about the whole ordeal does point that they might have plans for Pontiac once things in the auto industry settle down.
Things I have read about Pontiac:
1. GM is supposedly bringing the brand back as the original niche brand in late 2011.
2. The whole reason GM didn't give Pontiac a farewell when the last G6 was made is because they quietly wanted to phase out the brand to make it easier to bring back later
3. After phasing out Pontiac, many Buick, GMC dealers have protested that they have no new cars cheaper than 20K, causing GM to rethink decision
4. Holden is losing money, blaming GM, possibly influencing Pontiac return as a reworked Holden for the US (i.e. return of the G8 )
5. As Bob Lutz prepares for retirement, it is rumored that his last big push at GM will be to revive Pontiac.
6. I found it is odd that although GM is willing to sell the other brands that it ended, it will not sell the Pontiac name and rights. This is a big deal to me because it would seem that they would sell anything for whatever money they could get especially since holding onto the dead name would gain them no profit.
So, I want to hear what other members here feel about whats going on with Pontiac and please please please post up any info that you may know. I wish I had the power as a civilian to go talk to whomever at GM is in charge of this decision and voice my support for the brand since it is the only one that I feel loyal to.
'00 Oldsmobile Alero GL
'92 Buick LeSabre Custom
'95 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi (sold)
Last edited by theedgeofsanity; 04-02-2010 at 12:53 AM.