Originally Posted by agrazela
I don't know about Canada, but in the US, regardless of who is at fault, the insurance company will:
1) Try their hardest to deny all claims; failing that, claim your obviously totalled car is not totalled, and try to chisel you on the repair estimate; failing that, set the value of your car ridiculously low, so their "totalled" payout is small.
2) Fight tooth and nail to cut corners on your repairs, particularly by trying to steer you to the cheapest, shoddiest garages and body work places in existence, claiming that crappy, non-OEM quality parts and labor is "equivalent."
3) Try to steer you to their hand-picked quacks for any medical evaluation.
4) Drop your butt, or jack your rates so high you can't afford them anymore.
1) through 3) can be fought with persistence; 4) is inevitable, so grab your ankles.
Regardless of whether it'* AllState or "Fast Eddy'*," the company will take these tactics...the only difference is that "Fast Eddy" will claim bankruptcy before you get a dime, while AllState will say "so sue me."
(Can you tell I'm not a big fan of insurance companies?
Who'* your insurer?
My experiences have been a lot different. My insurance company:
1) Sent me to a way over priced shop so that the cost of repairs would well exceed the value of the car.
2) Undercut the true value by about $1000.
3) Argued with us and eventually gave us a check for about $500 less then what I thought the car was worth at a minimum.
and when we went through the person at fault'* insurance company the next time:
1) Adjuster was there the next day
2) We got a rental for a full size luxury car, no charge.
3) Sent a check within 7days for what the car was worth + extra for the tires and brakes we had just had installed
4) Payed for rental car until 7 days after the check arrived.
The 2nd insurance company was a business insurance company for an engineering firm.
1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GT, mod list: CAI, more to come...
Sound: Kenwood X889 w/ 800 watt amp. Boston SL95'* rear, SX50'* front.
Appearance: Short antenna, projector headlights, custom grills