My handmade ones are just prototypes so I'll probably just clean them up and call it good... however I am planning on making a batch on a CNC machine. I'm doing this for practice more than anything.
For those of you familiar with this style of ring on turbo Regals (they were used on LeSabre T Types too!), you'd know that they were made out of plastic and are very prone to breaking at the point where they're screwed down. Lots of companies do make aftermarket rings out of plastic, cast metal (like my gray ring shown here that I"m using to take dimensions), and machined aluminum. Since I have access to a shop and plenty of aluminum I figured on playing with some
Anyway...... Picture time!
Yesterday I had a blank that was cut on one side so the first order of business was the cut the other side with a new boring bar since the last one came apart.
After this was done and both sides were a mirror image I cleaned up the part to prep it to mark spots for the bolt holes.
Remember, this is two parts back to back:
And here it is after drilling the first two holes. I drilled through both blanks at once instead of cutting them apart so that I wouldn't have to drill holes on two parts.
On to drilling and the result:
Ready for cutting... getting it lined up and hopefully straight:
And TADA! Two parts!
For tomorrow, I just need to machine the cut faces, drill the countersunk parts for the allen heads, mill off the places for the spokes, and clean it up. Should turn out allright.