a little over a month.
Hear me out here. The problem started with Firefox. It would randomly hang. Then after while, the error report would hang too. I got mad, deleted Firefox, and started using Internet Explorer again (
). What do you know? IE started randomly hanging. So I'm like, forget that, so I went BACK to Firefox, and the problem seemed to kinda fix itself.
Somewhere during that whole mess, the computer started running the Check Disk on drive D: at startup, every single time I booted. Drive D: on my computer is the "Backup" partition created by dell. I called Dell, and the guy from India exhausted all of his options on how to fix it, so he decided I needed to reformat. I have reformatted computers SEVERAL times, but I decided I was going to get my moneys worth on the customer service, so I had him walk me through it. I also did this to make sure I did it right and according to Dell'* procedure (incase I was going to need a new HDD because maybe mine had a bad sector or something).
We reformatted the C: partition, and interestingly enough the Check Disk on the D: partition was fixed. I didn't think it would work but it did.
After the reformat, and getting everything reinstalled and what not (about 11 hours of work because I killed my wireless in the process), the cycle seems to be starting over again. Firefox has hung a few times, but this time it was more predictable. It would always happen when starting firefox, so I figured it had to be an extension or something. So I quickly worked on that hoping not to "corrupt" something again, if that is possible. After fixing that, a couple hours down the road my computer hung. I pressed alt ctrl delete to open the task manager, and after 4 minutes or so it finally opened. The "System" process was stuck at 98%. The only way I could get the computer off was to press and hold the power button.
The computer turned off and booted up fine, until I got to the point where you put in your password on windows XP. It hung there, the touchpad and key board were non-functional. So once again I had to power down by holding the power button. Booted again, same thing. So i turned it off the same way again put it on my desk, and ran some errands in town. Turned it on, and it has worked flawlessly ever since (22 hours).
I don't know what to do, because I am pretty sure it is a problem with something I have done. But the only software I use is AIM, FF, Window Media Player, Picasa, PC Cililin, Google Earth, Google Desktop, and Gmail Notifier. They all should be pretty solid programs...