My wife had to get some cheap jewely to wear for a wedding we're in. She was complaining that she couldn't wear the earrings very long or she'd get an infection in the piercing. I asked why and she said anything other than 14k or better gold gives her an infection. Not silver or anything else is ok. I said silver is naturally anti-bacterial and I'm not aware of any metals that actually cause infections. She got all defensive and said she didn't want to talk to me anymore at the moment because it happens to her mom, too.
WTF? Is there truth in that or is she just being high-maintenance and stubborn?
I believe her. That is a very big problem I have as well. Even with neclaces too for me. My ears will get infected and start swelling and get really sore. If it'* a necklace my chest puffs up like a balloon. It'* irritating for a man. Ryan bought me a real necklace for our first anniversary and a real set of earings for a sencond and I haven't had any problems yet.
It'* not just a ploy to get jewerly..... I promise. I don't even like to wear it much.
some people are allergic to the nickel in the cheaper earrings.
you can usually buy the cheap stuff, just make sure its "For Sensitive Ears" or has a 14kt gold post. you can also get "Nickel Free Earrings" that i recommend for kids who are unsure if their allergic or not.