Originally Posted by SSEi95
Me and my girlfriend are seriously thinking about building our own house as soon as next summer. What I am wondering is what kind of things can we do or be mindful of when designing it to keep the costs down? So far the only ones I am using are:
1) build up, not out. Supposedly cheaper to have a smaller footprint and add a story.
2) tying to keep all the plumbing stacked on top of each other for each floor.
3) what else?
(1) Find out what insurance companies like about ranch style or multi-floor. Some may charge less for a ranch, and vice versa.
(1) I really don't see what difference building up or out would have on costs. (might even save on utility'*.
(3) Find a LOCAL contractor to the planned area of building site and ask him on more specifics. Remember, each area is different. ie Taxes, building code regs etc.
Good luck with the new house. I would love to build my own.