Hi all. I have been a member for a couple of years but haven't really posted prior to this much. I just wanted to take a minute to say thanks for all of the tech related postings!!!! I have a 92 ssei, green (obviously per the user name) purchased it in 94 with 45k on it and I really enjoy the car. Have wrenched for many years but not on computer controlled vehicles. I have had some strange problems with this car off and on and in most cases couldn' do a darn thing about them until I ran across the Bonneville site. I did fix a couple really menacing things on my own and will share at the end of my thank you letter. At any rate, thanks to Wilren whos data I have used the most along with my factory manuals and also thanks to many others for observations and input that helped too. We fixed leaks, cleaned evaporators, and on and on. Still gotta replace the bearings and the coupler in my "ubercharger" but we will get to it soon.
I am in Bellevue Washington, east of Seattle 10 miles, love performance cars and have mostly owned Pontiacs but love chev big blocks. I currently own 92 ssei, 65 Lemans, 66 Lemans, 67 Firebird 400 and several other less interesting hunks of tin that I will not take time to mention.
A couple of problems I have fixed through my own experimentation that might be helpful.
1. Early on in the ownership of my 92 ssei I had a situation where there were intermittent electrical "happenings" I will call them that used to drive me nuts. Door ajar or trunk ajar or seat belt light or traction off etc etc etc. would light up from time to time for no reason. Tested circuits etc until I was blue in the face. Finally bought the factory service manuals and still no luck. What I eventually found that shed some light and resulted in a fix for all was that I observed corrosion on the aluminum tubes and other aluminum parts in the engine compartment. It brought to mind corrosion problems that occur in boats. I found that from time to time my battery was bubbling electrolyte over the side of the battery which caused a path for low level voltage to leak from the positive terminal over the side of the battery and back to ground. I found this using my digital volt meter. I pulled the battery, cleaned up the metal tray and repainted it, got a plastic boat box, removed the top and discarded it, cut the box to accomodate my cables, got rid of my side posts and voila ! No more intermittent electrical ghosts period.
2. Steering wheel switches gone whacky. Pulled all apart, figured out the specifications for the little dip switches, purchased some of the switches from Allied Electronics, solder the new switches on to the circuit boards and problem fixed. The switches were a few cents each like $.25 Here is the info on the switches.
Go to www.alliedelec.com
, in the search box at the top of the page enter the stock number 758-0235 and up will come the switch you need to buy to replace your broken / non functioning steering wheel control switch. You will also need a very small soldering iron used on circuit boards.
Good luck and watch out for Kato...................