Hi, my name is Dennis, and I don't own a Bonneville at all, lol. I have actually been signed up along time ago, just thought I'd finally introduce myself. I usually spend my time here troubleshooting my fiance'* 2000 Bonneville SSEi.
A little about myself: I am 24 years old. I go to school for Manufacturing Engineering. I'm into cars, designing and building, gaming, you know, the usual stuff. My pride and joy is a 1985 Toyota Celica GT-*. My friends all think of me as a walking encyclopedia of Toyotas that don't suck (70s-90s ish). I have always loved the 3800s and I've always had a thing for Bonnevilles in particular. I almost bought a Grand Prix GTP for a winter car but I stupidly listen to the dealer intead of doing my research when he told me GTP'* get horrible fuel milage. Oh well, ended up getting a 99 S10 2.2L 5spd, which I love to death.
About the Bonneville: It'* a 2000 SSEi with 120k miles, that my fiance bought two years ago as her first car for $5k (she was borrowing her brothers Saturn SC up until then). She absolutely loves it, especially when she races my Honda driving friends. She'd rather have a Denali though, she'* thinking about buying one when she graduates and handing the Bonne off to me. Apparently a track-prepped Celica and a 2-seater S10 are not good family cars, lol.
I've just been working to keep up on the Bonneville'* maintenance. So far Its got new:
Supercharger tensioner @ 110k
Supercharger belt @ 110k
Pirelli P-Zeros @ 110k
Front & Rear Brakes and Rotors @ 110k
Drivebelt Pulleys @ 120k
MOOG Front Springs @ 120k
Rear Adjustment Link @ 120k
By the way that rear link is a stupid design. I've been drafting up a design that takes tie rod ends instead of having to replace the whole part. It should be about $70 cheaper than it would be for the entire link from the dealer. We'll see what I come up with.
And here'* the list of things I need to work on to get it working perfect:
- Driver Info displays SERVICE STABILITY SYSTEM. I'm pretty sure it'* a bad wheel bearing
- Rear Passenger Side window doesnt work. Probably a regulator.
- The engine burns through coolant. Apparently this is a very common problem. Definitely Intake gasket.
- Supercharger whines excessively loud. I was told it was a worn coupler.
- The Bonne will sometimes, very rarely for about 2-3 seconds, not make enough electric power. Lights will dim and voltmeter will read something like 12v. Possibly an alternator issue.
- Heated seats stopped working last summer. They turn on for a few seconds, then turn back off automatically. No idea why they are doing that.
Next project I'm think about heading down the road to ZZ Performance and picking up a */C coupler. Then I'll replace that, the intake gasket, and spark plugs at the same time.
And finally on to the pictures of the cars:
The trampstamp! I made this for my fiance for Valentines Day last year. Irish girls gotta have their Claddagh...