I drove from SoCal to Seattle to attend a convention
, car ran great as usual and averaged about 33mpg @ 75mph most of the way. Had a great day at the convention, got in the car, drove (about 25 miles) to a friend'* where I was staying and parked the car in the driveway. Car seemed fine... no lights or smells. We're sitting in the house talking when 20 minutes later a neighbor is yelling... "Your car is on fire!".
Call 911, take the hoses & extinguishers to it, fire crew shows, took them 30 minutes to get the fire put out. Took 10 minutes to get the hood open (the hood release cable melted, the hood latch seized). Sparks flying, smoke billowing, components & systems cracking and popping as the fire is setting them off (horn, lights, wipers, etc.) Interior of the car is melting. I had to tell them where the battery was so they could stop the power to the engine compartment, but the door locks had seized... so they had to breakout the passenger windows (their personal smoke warning alarms were going off from all the smoke). Finally with the power cut, the car and the fire died.
Fire marshal came right out and spent two hours inspecting it and taking a report. He said it was an oil fire... sparked by electrical (probably faulty wiring). He said I was lucky it didn't happen on the freeway or in the parking structure at the convention center.
No fire coverage, so I'm out the car and have to replace it on my own. I'm just glad no one was hurt and no damage to my friend'* home.