You asked for it…
I’ve owned this car since early 95, and for the most part I think it’* been quite dependable. It has about 196k on it now. Apart from normal wear items as Hans mentioned – tires, brakes, light bulbs, etc. here’* what I can remember:
~60k or so…anti-lock brake module took a vacation and never came back. Estimated $1k to fix so I wished it farewell and haven’t had anti-lock since.
~ 72k…cam bearing fell out
. Found it in the oil pan all mangled but in one piece (figure that
one out!). Pulled engine & replaced cam bearings.
~ UIM elbow replaced, mileage unknown. This was long before I discovered BC and the mechanic was well aware of the issue. Probably around 1999 or so.
~120k…spun #3 rod bearing near Winnemucca NV. That sucked. By the time I got to someplace safe to stop, I had babbit material in every nook in the engine. Pulled engine. New bearings, polish crank, new cam (seized in bearings), rings (no pistons), etc. At 120k, there was no ridge at all in the cylinders. I was not happy, but I was impressed. I suspect I may have had a bad LIM gasket. Once again this was BC b.c. (before Bonneville Club).
~169k…car dying while cornering or braking with ¼ tank of gas. Cleaned broken bits out of fuel tank baffle, drilled hole to allow fuel into pump pickup reservoir, changed nasty fuel pump strainer. No more dying with low fuel.
~177k…replaced original struts (not that they needed it).
Oops, forgot the blower motor I replaced sometime around here...
~180k…replaced rear glass to stop water leak in trunk. – Note: no problem with glass, but during sealant removal the defroster was damaged so I replaced the glass. No more trunk leaks.
~ Mileage unknown, but somewhere around this time I installed sections of weatherstripping around doors to fill the gaps and stop leaks. Also somewhere around here I changed the ignition switch because of a broken wire for the security system.
~187k…erratic heat/AC. Upgraded to 95 ECC and changed airmix actuator.
~194k…replaced power steering pump due to bad leak (crack in sensor). Pump itself was working fine.
~400 miles later…replaced radiator. Had a nice crack in the left tank.
~300 miles after that…replaced power antenna.
Other little things – it’* had a few batteries, 3-4 alternators, a center console lid/latch, the leather in the front seats is really bad now, fixed steering wheel controls (thanks BC), replaced vent grills on center console, replaced window controls on driver’* door (I busted a clip), and I may need a new temperature sensor. Oh, and the keyless entry has decided to quit working recently – probably needs a new remote. If it weren’t for those engine problems, this car (considering its age & mileage) would have a fairly impressive track record.
It’* driven moderately every day.