* 1st character- Identifies the country in which the vehicle was manufactured.
For example: U.*.A.(1or4), Canada(2), Mexico(3), Japan(J), Korea(K), England(*), Germany(W), Italy(Z)
* 2nd character- Identifies the manufacturer. For example; Audi(A),
BMW(B), Buick(4), Cadillac(6), Chevrolet(1), Chrysler(C), Dodge(B),
Ford(F), GM Canada(7), General Motors(G), Honda(H), Jaquar(A), Lincoln(L), Mercedes Benz(D), Mercury(M), Nissan(N), Oldsmobile(3), Pontiac(2or5), Plymouth(P), Saturn(
, Toyota(T), VW(V), Volvo(V).
* 3rd character- Identifies vehicle type or manufacturing division.
* 4th to 8th characters- Identifies vehicle features such as body style, engine type, model, series, etc.
* 9th character- Identifies VIN accuracy as check digit.
* 10th character- Identifies the model year. For example: 1988(J), 1989(K), 1990(L), 1991(M), 1992(N), 1993(P), 1994(R), 1995(*), 1996(T),
1997(V), 1998(W), 1999(X), 2000(Y)------2001(1), 2002(2), 2003(3)
* 11th character- Identifies the assembly plant for the vehicle.
* 12th to 17th characters- Identifies the sequence of the vehicle for production
as it rolled of the manufacturers assembly line.