Well here is a build thread, I figured I would share my project with everyone. I had asked a few times on here is it was possible to swap a series 2 motor in a series 1 car, and was told it could be done but no one really could tell me more. So I am going to attempt it anyways because I could not find a suitable motor/tranny for my 93 Bonneville.
My car is a 93 SSE, I have been still trying to figure out the difference between mine and a SSEI, as I have compared them side by side and have all the same options. Mine has everything you could get, and a few extras like heated seats. I have owned it for about 2 years, bought it with 160K and now roughly has 190K. It has developed problems that have been progressively been getting worse, but I love the car so I want to fix it. Shortly after buying it I found the supercharger had been gutted, I was told the release valve was stuck, so didn't think much of it at the time. Other problems are both exhaust manifolds are cracked, timing cover is cracked and leaks about a quart of oil a week, motor runs great, but stumbles when cold and gets poor milage. Then we go on to the tranny that likes to shift hard and causes the worst vibration, cause is bad output shaft bearings and differential bearings. SO as you can see my drivetrain is long past shot.
I searched for a new motor and tranny for about 6 months and found nothing worth using. I came apon a 97 SSEI at a salvage sale and for $600 it was mine. Had around 125K on it and was fairly nice other than the hard left front hit. Motor was undamaged but airbox was obliterated. Spent a few hours tinkering and it fired right up and sounded great, took her around the block and it shifted perfect and had tons of power. I was very happy with my investment, as the car has tons of other parts I can use, it was also fully loaded with every option, and very nice condition.
I am doing a full swap basically. Swap the whole cradle in first and go from there. As there are many differences between a 93 and a 97, they both have the exact same body, interior and dash setup. So I am swapping everything, dash, wireharness, steering column, everything. In the end I should have a 97 in a 93 body. This may sound like a lot of work, but it seams simple to me. I am used to putting L67'* and v8'* in fiero'*, v8'* in porsches, and v8'* in rx7'*.
Only took me about 2 hours to pull the cradle from the wrecked bonneville, the sawzall helped a little too.